B1 Buffer Preamp - Page 253 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th June 2010, 05:06 PM   #2521
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

the drop from 1k0 to 330r will let receiver see a lower source resistance and at the same time raise the RF filter just over an octave.
This may be audible. Worth trying.
Old 27th June 2010, 07:03 PM   #2522
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

If that helps, I'm using 220s at the output of my B1 and it seems stable. The dual-supply version of B1 also uses 220 for output resistor I believe. I don't have an oscilloscope to measure if there's any difference though. You can give it a shot.
Old 27th June 2010, 08:10 PM   #2523
Arick is offline Arick  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arick View Post
Fair enough, I will try to draw a plan and post it. By reading previous posts, I though it was ''relatively'' simple...not shore anymore
Following my last post, finally got the time to draw the way I want to connect my balanced version of the B1. What is not shown on the drawing is the switch to change the input from balanced to RCA and the 4 gang potentiometer. Any suggestions?
Eric
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BalancedB1.jpg (104.5 KB, 930 views)
Old 27th June 2010, 08:15 PM   #2524
Nick77 is offline Nick77  United States
diyAudio Member

I just finished my B1 thank you Nelson for sharing.

I have a question:

I have almost 100 hrs on unit and still sounds rather dark and recessed. I have 4 Takman rex carbon resistors in the signal path. I have heard they are warmer but i am getting to much warm and they can take while to settle down. I am ready to remove at least two but wondering if anyone knows if they might still open up with a few more hrs???

Thanks

Last edited by Nick77; 27th June 2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 27th June 2010, 10:04 PM   #2525
Atilla is offline Atilla  Norway
diyAudio Member

I'd say, if you aren't used to it in a 100 hours, something is wrong and you might want to see if you change something.

As for the whole burn-in of components, I wouldn't touch that with a 100-feet pole. It can get scary

I mean, if you change something in the system, whatever it is - transistors/caps/resistors/voltage/bias, and it sounds better then you're happy you improved your system. That's the charm of DIY, after all.

Burn-in, psychoacoustic conditioning, whatever you want to call it can't correct mistakes, or the fact that you bought a component from a weird source and it turned out to be a fake and you didn't realise in time. Those things happen sometimes.

BTW, my B1 uses resistors from my "by-the-pound" bag. Whatever they are, they seem to sound perfectly OK in both my amp, preamp and headphone amp so far.

Last edited by Atilla; 27th June 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 27th June 2010, 10:52 PM   #2526
diyAudio Member

Yeah, a pair of sinlges resistors are not going to completely change the sound character of a device. It can influence it, but I don't think it will solve your problem.
Old 27th June 2010, 11:43 PM   #2527
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by regiregi22 View Post
Yeah, a pair of sinlges resistors are not going to completely change the sound character of a device. It can influence it, but I don't think it will solve your problem.
I will let you know how it works.
Old 30th June 2010, 09:04 PM   #2528
diyAudio Member

made my shelf a B1 ( a generic construction that suffers from a few errors ) that still plays amazingly well

veroboard simple material good quality transitors ... other than that a very simple thing

things i liked
bandwidth dynamics ultralow noise nice colours warm doesnt strech almost any kind of music ...works very nice ... sounds also very crisp and linear

only thing that puzzled me a bit is that it seems that it sounds better with 24 volt supply than it sounds with 18 is there a reason for that or simply my imagination ???

eventhough generic construction actually meet almost all measuring specs

way to go Papa thank you very much
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Εικόνα020.jpg (79.4 KB, 784 views)
File Type: jpg Εικόνα021.jpg (79.0 KB, 768 views)
Old 30th June 2010, 09:40 PM   #2529
diyAudio Member

I never tried 24v. It sounds better at 18v than at 9v, 12v, or 15v and I stopped there because everything improved so much at 18v. What do you find the difference to be between 18v and 24v?

Chris
Old 30th June 2010, 10:32 PM   #2530
diyAudio Member

i would say that sound is warmer and more balanced with 24 volt ... also seems thathigh is more clean and tollerant ... that might be a small detail but still audible

Also if in the front is a class AB amplifier this type of diference is not that obvious ... but with a class A amplifier begins to be more audible

kind regards sakis

Hide this!Advertise here!