B1 Buffer Preamp

$6 is pretty expensive for that part, nice as it is. Last time I looked,

The text is obviously in German: the price is per lot of 25 pieces, plus shipment, so 0,67 euro or roughly 1 $ per JFET. I think that is not too bad, especially considering this is a well know local supplier and you still get the original and not any fakes, plus they have J74BL as well. One caveat: They did often not respond to orders from outside Germany, at least in the past, but their ebay auctions say they ship worldwide.

Edit: should have read more carefully as someone replied to this before me ...

Yeah well, i've never had any problems communicating with Mr Rother. Neither by regular or web mail and i've bought his items from day-1, when he was selling parts through ads in mags like Klang&Ton and the likes.

The additional costs of handling/shipment are pretty steep for orders outside of the empire, even more so before the internet banking era, which makes small time orders rather expensive.
The low shipment cost level of the Schuro E-bajo business fills that gap, good niche market.

I just ordered a few 2sk170 and 2sj74 devices from eeedesigner on ebay. He has several listings on these
like 4 2sk170 for $4.99 buy it now + $3 shipping
or one pair of 2sk170 and 2sj74 for $2.99 buy it now
+ $3 shipping . He does combine shipping and will come
down some on the price.

So I guess the V part is not suitable . Using the LSK389 until today , they where getting rather hot . Then I knew that linearsistem is makin them 3 types A, B an C . Something like the Gr , Bl and Vl .
Mine infact are C types obtained as samples .

So I matched some 2sk170 BL and voilà . They sound kind better .

:)

Implemented the B1 buffer in my TDA1541A DAC as follow:

DIR9001 --> SAA7220 4x oversample --> TDA1541a --> Jfet IV --> 10kA volume --> B1 buffer.

Now the DAC can directly drive a power amp and it sound wonderful!

Thanks Nelson for sharing the new designs.

Spencer

Attachments

• dsc_5096s1.jpg
    dsc_5096s1.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,397
The B1 has following component changes due to on hand part availability issue:

R1 = 0.47R
C1 = C2 = 1500uf 35V
D1 use green LED
R202/R204/R102/R104 = 680R
C100/C200 use 0.47//0.68uf film cap
P200 / P100 = 10kA type Alps
C101/C201 = BG 10uf 50V N series
K170BL use 8.2mA Idss.

Cheers.

Attachments

• dsc_5101s.jpg
    dsc_5101s.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 3,164
Re: 25V caps

Diomedian said:
I wasn't thinking and ordered a 24V regulated wall wart, and 25V 15000uF caps for the power supply. Would anyone think it's a bad idea running the caps this close to their limit?

thanks,
-d
it might be belt and braces but since you plan to run them at near maximum voltage consider reforming them before connecting to the PSU.

feed them from 30Vdc with a series 100k resistor to limit the maximum current while the insulator reforms. You can measure the leakage current through the cap after a couple of hours by monitoring the voltage drop across the 100k resistor.
Maybe reform for half a day, then put to full voltage duty.
For any that suffer a high leakage, try reforming for a couple of days and recheck or throw them away.