B1 Buffer Preamp

I replaced mine with some nice Bournes linears. Not 'audiophile' but smoooth.

I am very impressed with the transparency of this device. Built almost entirely out of my parts box, no esoteric parts (10u Wima MKP4s 250V for the main caps. I like the wimas in my headphone amps quite a bit).

A bit sorry I waited this long to build it! Better late than never. Thanks Nelson and Colin for a great contribution.

I replaced mine with some nice Bournes linears. Not 'audiophile' but smoooth.

I am very impressed with the transparency of this device. Built almost entirely out of my parts box, no esoteric parts (10u Wima MKP4s 250V for the main caps. I like the wimas in my headphone amps quite a bit).

A bit sorry I waited this long to build it! Better late than never. Thanks Nelson and Colin for a great contribution.

Which Bourns pot did you use? Plastic film or cermet?

I think i found a nicer chassis for this project, 180$ With external case for psu.

High End Black Full Aluminum chassis, 2xchassis /GA-9 - eBay (item 290344838827 end time Dec-28-09 03:50:32 PST)

Front

ga-9all_1.jpg

back

ga-9all_2.jpg

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Well finally got mine finished today, even though some parts are on back order,Aura Teflons for the 1uf and a 25k goldpoint pot. Mine uses a single Teddyreg between rectifier board and input to give a lovely clean 24v. I started the build considering a Wallwart so my choice of 10k uf Mundorfs for C1 and C2 is now looking a little silly.

Just needs sticking in a cleaned up Naim shoebox case and I'll post some pics.

Thanks once again Nelson, an awesome little pre.

B1.jpg

Ok here we go pictures, apologies to Nelson for housing his creation in a Naim shoebox with old Chrome bumper 42.5 faceplate. ( The balance switch is actually the source switch, and the right hand dial is cosmetic only.

Small double pcb inside is a pair of teddyreg boards, only one side used. Plugs are CMC super Cu, they cost more than the rest of the amp did! (Well at least until the Teflons arrive). ;-)

The pot is a 25k Noble dual log, and I had a few of them lying round my bits box. I chose them a year or so back in preference to the Alps Black which Naim used in their older pre's. That said it's being replaced with a Goldpoint, if it ever actually arrives, 14 days and counting.

All caps currently in use are from, Audiophile MKP :: Film / Foil :: Capacitors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music I've never found them cheaper anywhere else. The Blackgate was a Spare I had floating round.

The Aura Teflons are coming from AudioCap: The Audio Capacitor Online Shop

The pot is a 25k Noble dual log, and I had a few of them lying round my bits box. I chose them a year or so back in preference to the Alps Black which Naim used in their older pre's. That said it's being replaced with a Goldpoint, if it ever actually arrives, 14 days and counting.

All caps currently in use are from, Audiophile MKP :: Film / Foil :: Capacitors :: Passive Components :: Electronic Parts :: Banzai Music I've never found them cheaper anywhere else. The Blackgate was a Spare I had floating round.

The Aura Teflons are coming from AudioCap: The Audio Capacitor Online Shop

Would you be willing to part/sell with a 25k noble & 2 caps ?