Pumpkin preamp - ordered by Steen , official making thread

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well ...... seems ages ago ,buried in some obscure DiyA Pass thread , after few quickie (on back of napkin) modifications of XYWZwhatever BOSOZ , my budy Lucky Luke (AKA steen) , demanded one little preamp with balls ....

few posts later , LL have some ideas about topology, perfectly good for me , just because I'm good at paper (napkin) and hand calc almost as he is good in making amps ........

little later - I already have some quickie quickie drawn , but somewhat flipped in regard to LL's idea,with added output stage(s) etc.

main reason why I flipped it is because I feel ( well - I rarely think,anyway) that's smart to use some non-audio-fancy-schmanzy Jfet , which is easy to find in near tobacco store, with all other parts .....

well - result is here (lookie lookie schmtc)

crazy process of :Pumpkin: delivery is also crazy documented in THIS
thread .........

I can just say tnx to entire OFF TOPIC MOB , just because they make my life miserable with regular questions "will it drive F4 " etc . :devilr:

anyway ......... for first post is 'nuff

schematic:
(next post -The Shunty)...........

EDIT BY MODERATORS:

With Choky's permission, I have created a new thread the is the same as this thread but with almost all Off Topic posts removed for easy reading by those making the project.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119070

The new thread is closed and possibly won't be updated, so members should keep checking back here for latest info and amusement

Variac

END EDIT

:Pumpkin: setup in my livingroom... Swinging so easily 40v with 1,8 on input !!!

Thank's for all the help ZenMod... Maybee it will be a while before finishing it up...

I made a :Pumpkin: from scratch, designing my pcb (clumsy i know) myself... but the thing is playing really nice, not to mention very relaxing too. All diy'ers, which life depend's on the F4, really should consider the :Pumpkin: to drive it wild an mad...

ZenMod :devilr: :devilr: :devilr: nice weekend...

Jesper.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
crazy danske was fast almost as his country man LL :clown:

lykkedk earned his right to post piccies of his own :Pumpkin: because he is first who actually made non-prototype version ..........

first official pair of main :Pumpkin: boards are happily arrived at first BAF in history....... we'll hear more about Smashing and Barking :Pumpkin: tomorrow......

well- steen ordered :Pumpkin:, but he didn't count on my everlasting love for shunt regs .
as result of that love there is The Shunty ........ simply - proper reg for any eeny weeny preamp ........

my friend Oly (AKA Vangelis on DiyA) is responsible for stunning pcbs for both :Pumpkin: and Shunty ; btw. "The Shunty" is his name for that simple reg . you'll see pcb piccies in later posts.

he is also responsible for keeping me in sane boundaries ; well - almost keeping me ;)

when I drew series reg, in front of already drawn and tested shunt part of now existing Shunty, his only (and last ) comment was "that's pure demonstration of force....... why you need that ?" :clown:

I also wanna say many tnx to Off Topic Mob , which constantly make my life miserable with repetitive questions as "will it drive F4?" etc .......... :devilr:

anyway - this was (is) open source project ......... my intention to make decent preamp for regular DiyA members, without braking leg and arm to find obscuremadeofpreputium audio parts (read - toshiba 3 or 7 legged fuses) ...

both schematics are here ; I intend to sell pcbs along with matched crucial parts , in several levels ........ just main boards with parts, just Shunty with few important parts (if they exist at all) , complete package, main boards with just one Shunty ( if you are bean counter) etc.

to cut a story..........

here is The Shunty schematic:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
main boards piccies

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Magura said:

Anyhow, we heard your pathetic preamp today with a pair of F4's, since this is the only pre at the momnet that you can get as kit, it's sure the best pre kit around.

Magura ;)

:rofl: :rofl:

yeah - that's certainly main reason ............... availability .......

:rofl: :rofl:

......... wait - you aren't :captain: now ?

how's :captain: ,after our mutual public disgrace and humiliation ?

:devilr:

Magura said:

Yeah, and the same goes for your mindspan ;)

Anyhow, we heard your pathetic preamp today with a pair of F4's, since this is the only pre at the momnet that you can get as kit, it's sure the best pre kit around.

Magura ;)

Ya' postin' from over there?? I didnt know they had internet:D Maybe you send a telegram with the Pony-express?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
BOM

well...... I had cunnin' plan to make tonight one eeeny weeeny pdf BOM , and again to use that chance to implement many of little jewels of my beautiful mind,as another proof that I'm .... well ..... cunnin' :clown:

anyway - reading all that BAF related posts , also looking at BAF related piccies , and again reading BAF related hate posts ........... I just haven't time to do this ........

tomorrow , I hope ;)