Custom Plitron tranformer for output stage

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was thinking of getting a good power transformer unit to use for my future power amp project.
Since i have noticed that the 18+18V output secondary is the most wide used from NP and that he ONLY uses Plitrons which are very excellent manufactures, i was thinking of buying 2 customs made

specifications:
-----------------
1.5KVA
low noise and low inrush
mu-metal shielding.

since such a transformer is not available on the standard range it has to be custom made and therefore there is a fee of $250 for the first one.

If anybody here would be interested on getting such a good product with me, we could share the fee and by requesting more units the price per unit would be even lower.

i thought it could have been a nice idea since we are not obviously Nelson Pass that can order loootttsss of units and get a good deal :D

If anybody out there is interested please let me know.

Then if you are not interested why are even posting here?
I don't understand!

It appears to me that your only reason to post is to be sarcastic and/or start an argument and i am sorry but i am not willing to, absolutely not!

I could give you tons of example of how you could use a 18+18V power transformer but i am not going to.
If i misunderstood your intention then i give you my apologies otherwise, please just stop to reply.

Best

BTW, I saw and handled those 1.5Kva transformers. These things are massively large and heavy. I could not imagine mounting them in a DIY system at my place.

Many of the BurningAmp participants had a lot of jokes about boat anchors, bridge abutments, ballast, and wrecking balls to describe the size and weight.

-David

Yeah, i know they are heavy piece of equipment....but i don't understand why you wouldn't install these on your diy amplifiers (if the reason is the expense then....i agree with you).

Nelson: you meant that some of those transformers you bought from plitron don't fit the requirements of low noise and low inrush and therefore you give them away? or you are giving the surplus you have away?
If so...i wouldn't mind to buy a couple of them :)

Stefanoo said:
Yeah, i know they are heavy piece of equipment....but i don't understand why you wouldn't install these on your diy amplifiers (if the reason is the expense then....i agree with you).

Nelson: you meant that some of those transformers you bought from plitron don't fit the requirements of low noise and low inrush and therefore you give them away? or you are giving the surplus you have away?
If so...i wouldn't mind to buy a couple of them :)

Hi Stefanoo,

Just wait until you actually see the size and weight of these things. It's impressive. With heatsinks and refinforced chassis to support the weight, the amp would need a hand truck to move it around the listening room.

luvdunhill said:

just curious, what is their diameter? I'm working on a case and if it is large enough to handle one of these, I'll consider it a "upgrade proof" design.

This is what I got,

Powertronix
25v-0-25v 20A
30v-0-30v 0.1A
7-3/16" diameter
2 -3/8" height
>20 lbs each.

I purposely did not pick those Piltron as they are heavier. I think they may be another 1/2" wider in diameter.

Nelson Pass said:

Some are older types, some don't pass the stethoscope test.

How old?
What is the stethoscope test?
Do you test the transformers with a stethoscope to evaluate the noise performance?
A true low noise shouldn't be audible by a doctor stethoscope's inspection?

Usually transformers that passed the actual test are better sounding than those ones who haven't passed it indeed?

I sincerely don't care about weight and i rather prefer a heavier transformers than a lighter which gives me the idea of something not as consistent.
I already seen a proper casing for these transformers and stuff.
If you wanna know some dimensions of a similar Plitron's beast, take a look at here

http://www.plitron.com/shopping/specs/739500.pdf

What is the difference from the previous models and the newer models?

What makes me wonder is that from an expensive product as a low noise plitron transformer you still need to select them for an even lower noise level.
Is this so relevant?

Would it be possible to purchase a couple of your newer model plitron transformers?
Or do you think that for better performance i would have to order one from the factory?
But if i haven't misanderstood even ordering one from them i can get a transformer that wouldn't pass the stethoscope test, right?

huummm!!

:bigeyes:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.