Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd June 2008, 04:27 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Can this really be Class A & SE?

I was looking at the Monarchy SM70 amp. This is a stereo amp that is claimed to be 40watts, Class A and Single Ended. Those last two features would be two strikes against it being efficient

However what confuses me is that the heat sinks are at most only about 4 by 11 inches (each on a side). There is no fan.

When I look at the good work that is being done here, I see much more massive heat sinking for much less output. Is this manufacturer playing a "numbers game" about the performance and design. I am asking in this forum, since the responses are more knowledgeable and honest.

Thanks for your thoughts
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sm70_pro.jpg (3.9 KB, 425 views)
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:43 PM   #2
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

I see it specced @ 2x 25W RMS in 8 ohms and something like 40W RMS in 4 ohms, so are you certain it really is single-ended ?
Old 2nd June 2008, 04:58 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Can this really be Class A & SE?

Quote:
Originally posted by WithTarragon
This is a stereo amp that is claimed to be 40watts, Class A and Single Ended.

Who has made this claim? It appears to be neither class A nor single ended and the Monarchy site certainly makes no such claims.
Old 2nd June 2008, 05:15 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default A clarification

Let me clarify. I am referring to the SM70 (not the SM70Pro).

You are correct, the output is 25watts/channel at 8 Ohms.
Printed on the amplifier cabinet it clearly reads "Pure Class A"
The Single Ended claim I can no longer find on the website; however, they do list magazine reviews where the reviewers refer to it as "single ended". The Monarchy website has these reviews , but perhaps they are not responsible if the magazine got it wrong.

In either case, even at the claimed 25 watts, the heat sinking seems small. That is what I am confused about.

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2008, 05:18 PM   #5
peufeu is offline peufeu  France
diyAudio Member

The very large "Pure Class A" on the front plate would be an indication
But for the single endedness, yeah, I doubt.

Well 25 WRMS in 8 Ohms is 35W peak, so this gives 2A peak and 17V peak, a pure class A amp with 2A idle current and (say) +/- 20V supplies would dissipate 80W per channel... you'd need a 0.5C/W heatsink which is compatible with the dimensions you quote (9 cm * 30 cm). I have a heatsink in my supplier catalog which is 10cmx30cmx4cm and listed as 0.3 C/W.
Old 2nd June 2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Stefano is offline Stefano  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default SE

Hi folks!
The monarchy is single ended in the input stage but it uses a push-pull topology in output stage as you may read in an old (1999 I think) issue of Audio Electronics written by G. Galo

Hide this!Advertise here!