1/4" vs rca jacks - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th March 2003, 04:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to AJ Bertelson
Default 1/4" vs rca jacks

any differences in sound quality?
Old 13th March 2003, 06:06 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Well, they're both pretty unreliable. That, to me, trumps any consideration of purported differences in sound quality.

BNCs rule.
Old 13th March 2003, 06:25 PM   #3
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: 1/4" vs rca jacks

Quote:
Originally posted by AJ Bertelson
any differences in sound quality?
1/4" plugs were developed for phone exchanges, and are designed to be plugged and unplugged quickly, therefore positive contact was not a first priority in their design, if a contact was iffy, it was just replugged a few times until positive contact was made.

Newer ones are better, but are still more orientated towards constant repatching.

Stick with RCAs for a budget option, but better are XLRs and as SY said, BNCs
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 13th March 2003, 07:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Actually the WBT RCA chassis mount and cable mount are super duper if you're into unblanced stuff. The ground makes contact first when plugging them in eliminating the risk of sending your cones out through the grill cloth. Here is a link to all the pricy gold stuff!! Stay away from Phone plugs!!!
Mark

http://www.wbtusa.com/
Old 13th March 2003, 07:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark A. Gulbrandsen
Actually the WBT RCA chassis mount and cable mount are super duper if you're into unblanced stuff. The ground makes contact first when plugging them in eliminating the risk of sending your cones out through the grill cloth.
Arghhh- mute the amps- I can tell you've never worked with multi kW PA rigs
Rick: Oh Cliff / Sometimes it must be difficult not to feel as if / You really are a cliff / when fascists keep trying to push you over it! / Are they the lemmings / Or are you, Cliff? / Or are you Cliff?
Old 15th March 2003, 08:12 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Neutron Bob
Default Muahahahahaha!

Pinkmouse!

You are correct, sir! The pro racks and phone (1/4-inch) plugs are commonplace. I use a pair of them in my amplifier (24 MOSFET)...but I DO cringe at the thought of pulling them without hitting the mute switch.

"Stereo" plugs work for "balanced" operation...as far as contact reliability, cleanliness is the key, or gold plating.

If custom connections are your desire, don't forget the Neutrik devices- very nice! http://www.neutrik.com

The RCA type are simple, but won't stand up to repeated disconnection like 1/4 inch.

As for "Binkies" (BNC/TNC), these are excellent connections as well, designed for high frequency (RF). They work equally well in audio frequency applications.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 15th March 2003, 08:58 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I my real world job I service many Large Format 8/70, and 15/70 motion picture sound systems and I can tell you that without doubt that most of the problems I encounter are in the patch bay. I don't give a hoot how high of quality one you use...it will eventually act up!! Many patch bays have been replaced by audio routing systems. Pinkmouse these people are building stuff for at home!! I say stick with the higher quality RCA, or XLR jacks and plugs! They are not going to get much repeated plugging and unplugging anyway......and even the lesser expensive WBT stuff is far higher in quality than anything Neutrick produces.....
Mark

Yes, Indeed the universe can allow queer things......
Old 15th March 2003, 09:08 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Below is an installation pic of one of those systems we installed last September. All Quad Amped EAW and powered by QSC amps. This is for a 15/70 3D system and it was ll purchased used. There have been quite a number of problems related to the patch bay in this system and hopefully the owners will allow us to replace it with an audio router system soon. Yes, it is multi-multi kilowatt!
Mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg systempatch.jpg (29.4 KB, 219 views)
Old 16th March 2003, 04:32 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Contact Treatments

Caig 'Deoxit' and then after 'Preservit' do wonders.

Eric.
Old 16th March 2003, 03:32 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Have used them both on may things.....the tmie would be best spent removing the patch bay and eliminating all the problems.......BTW: They are Neutricks in the photo!!
Mark

Hide this!Advertise here!