1/4" vs rca jacks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Re: 1/4" vs rca jacks

AJ Bertelson said:
any differences in sound quality?

1/4" plugs were developed for phone exchanges, and are designed to be plugged and unplugged quickly, therefore positive contact was not a first priority in their design, if a contact was iffy, it was just replugged a few times until positive contact was made.

Newer ones are better, but are still more orientated towards constant repatching.

Stick with RCAs for a budget option, but better are XLRs and as SY said, BNCs

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Mark A. Gulbrandsen said:
Actually the WBT RCA chassis mount and cable mount are super duper if you're into unblanced stuff. The ground makes contact first when plugging them in eliminating the risk of sending your cones out through the grill cloth.

Arghhh- mute the amps- I can tell you've never worked with multi kW PA rigs;)

Muahahahahaha!

Pinkmouse!

You are correct, sir! The pro racks and phone (1/4-inch) plugs are commonplace. I use a pair of them in my amplifier (24 MOSFET)...but I DO cringe at the thought of pulling them without hitting the mute switch.

"Stereo" plugs work for "balanced" operation...as far as contact reliability, cleanliness is the key, or gold plating.

If custom connections are your desire, don't forget the Neutrik devices- very nice! http://www.neutrik.com

The RCA type are simple, but won't stand up to repeated disconnection like 1/4 inch.

As for "Binkies" (BNC/TNC), these are excellent connections as well, designed for high frequency (RF). They work equally well in audio frequency applications.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

I my real world job I service many Large Format 8/70, and 15/70 motion picture sound systems and I can tell you that without doubt that most of the problems I encounter are in the patch bay. I don't give a hoot how high of quality one you use...it will eventually act up!! Many patch bays have been replaced by audio routing systems. Pinkmouse these people are building stuff for at home!! I say stick with the higher quality RCA, or XLR jacks and plugs! They are not going to get much repeated plugging and unplugging anyway......and even the lesser expensive WBT stuff is far higher in quality than anything Neutrick produces.....
Mark

Yes, Indeed the universe can allow queer things......

Below is an installation pic of one of those systems we installed last September. All Quad Amped EAW and powered by QSC amps. This is for a 15/70 3D system and it was ll purchased used. There have been quite a number of problems related to the patch bay in this system and hopefully the owners will allow us to replace it with an audio router system soon. Yes, it is multi-multi kilowatt!
Mark

Attachments

• systempatch.jpg
    systempatch.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 250
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.