Balanced I/C Recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Folks:

I am nearly finished building an Aleph P 1.7 preamplifier, which will be connected to my Aleph 1.2 amps (a commercial purchase, I'm afraid) via a 16' run of single-ended interconnects. I'd like to replace the interconnects with balanced cables and have some very nice Neutrik connectors for the job. What I don't have is the wire.

Asking for advice regarding wire is dangerous; on another audio-related site (let's call them "AA"), the question is apparently both insulting and threatening. I'm asking because the issue is confusing -- wire differences in single-ended cables are easy to hear, but I understand that one of the principal benefits of balanced cables is that the impact of the sound of the wire is negated.

Is there is an audible difference in wire in a balanced configuration? If so, I'd like something really good. What do you recommend?

Much appreciated,
Scott

I can't understand why wire differences in balanced and unbalanced systems should be heard differently.

If the source an/or the receiver are better/less able to handle varying capacitance/inductance in the different cables then that could very easily lead to differences in the overall sound.

I don't think balanced is inherently more tolerant of difficult cable.

Hi Scott,
Andrew T is right on, the difference with balanced systems is when you get into low impedence circuits {150-600 ohms} where it would be much harder to hear a difference in cables. I suggest you try different materials and let your ears be the judge, if your system has the resolution you will easily be able to hear the differences.

Nice Mr Natural avatar, where did you find him?

Bill

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.