Little (or big ?) problem with a Zen V9.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys !

i came back with another issue...
i finished yesterday my Zen V9 based on the pcb of PD & DA.

The power supply is formed by a 300VA toroid with a 240 pri and a 0-36V sec.
After that, i used only 10.000uf 160V cap for filtering (waiting the array of new caps).

I temporaney put the Q2-Q3-Q4 (the 3 irfp240) on a single heatsink (10x23x5cm) and the Lu1014 on a separate one.

The first test was a disaster, one mosfet smoked for over heating ( i was wrong with the assemblage and only a little part of the mosfet surface was in contact with heatsink ). Fixed the assembly of mosfet i tried again powering up the device... and with P1 totally closed i've 39Volt on the drain of Q2. on Q3 i have (between it's drain and GND) 43volt. with P1 i have to set the voltage between Drain of Q2 and GDN at about one-half of 43volt (21.5volts) but........

When i'm going to set the voltage on P1 i can't reach the 21.5volts on the Drain of Q2 and when i'm going just a little under 39volt the array of 2ohm resistors (R1-R2-R3) became so hotter... but very, very, very hot...

the temperature on the heatsinks is fine and the mosfets aren't so hot.

What can happened ? Probably i broke some components...
What points i've to measure for checking if anything is ok ?

thanks for support.
(i understand my incorrect way of expressing facts, if you have any question ask me for more information and i'll try to answer !)

:D bye bye

Attachments

• pcb.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 150
Nelson Pass said:
I suggest that you report all pin voltages of all transistors.

The overheating of the resistors suggests that Q3 is being
biased to a higher current than you want.

which is the part of circuit that bias Q3 ? excuse me but i am not an engineer... :D

and... why the resistors became so hot only when i lower the voltage on drain Q3 ?

ok... tonight i've desoldered everything and i tryed to rebuild from zero the whole pcb.

i Only kept one "old" mosfet, and the bypass cap of the output cap (C7) and the Bc637 (in place of ZTX450).

few seconds after turning on device, the toroid emits a noise like a "fuzz"... as you hear when you pass near an electrical forniture.

and i was unable to adjust voltages trough P1 and i smoked the 3 2.0ohm resistors.

the only things that is different from pass original design is the Bc637 instead ZTX450 (Q5).

as suggested mr.pass maybe i fault the section that's bias Q3, and there is the Q5...

can different parts is the guilty of these problems ? bc637 seem to be a good equivalent.
And what about "Fuzz" of toroid ?

what other parts of circuit that i can check ?

I'm so sad... :whazzat: :whazzat: :whazzat:

I can't measure voltages across Mosfet because the amp smoke after 9-10 seconds of startup.

HELP... I NEED SOMEBODY... HELP :D

gionag said:

few seconds after turning on device, the toroid emits a noise like a "fuzz"... as you hear when you pass near an electrical forniture.

The hum from the transformer indicates a very heavy current draw.
You should use a Variac or, failing that, a light bulb in series with the circuit. Check for solder bridges on the circuit board. Don't assume that you've got the transistors installed properly--triple check. Check resistor values. For some reason, I keep seeing threads where people have mounted resistors that have the right significant digits, but are off by 10 or 100 or 1000...that kind of thing will bite you if you aren't careful.
In the final analysis, you're the one with the circuit in your hands. It's your eyes that see the board and parts. Patience and careful problem solving will fix this. Just sit and look at the board for a while.

Grey

i've checked each components and are ok (at least the 2ohm resistors that i've replaced with new ones).

I also used new 3 IRFP240 paand one new lu1014.

another thing that i noticed:

when i turn on the amp.. on the drain of Q4 i have 50volts after 2-3seconds, but on the drain of Q3 the voltages raise progressivly and i can't reach the 48volt because the 2.2ohm resistors smoke so early.

can help in troubleshooting ?

thanks

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.