First Watt F1 with Audio Nirvana Super 12?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has used a First Watt F1 design with the Super 12 driver from Audio Nirvana? The reviews of the F1 with full range speakers are fantastic, but I haven't seen anything on how well it might work with a driver larger than 8". Probably b/c there are no other 10 and 12 inch fullrange drivers (if Common Sense Audio's webpage is correct).

It seems to me that they'd be a great match, but I worry I'm missing some of the implications of moving to a larger driver...

Thanks,

Roscoe

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have a pair of super 12's due in tomorrow, and some stuff will
start appearing on them after a while.

I don't know how the F1 will drive them, but from experience, if you
are willing to work to develop a network in parallel to make the
interface, you can get pretty good results.

If you haven't read the pieces on Full Range Speakers + Current
Source Amplifiers and Crossovers for Current Source Amplifiers
( www.firstwatt.com ) you should take a look.

Lacking other information, you can consider "regular" sorts of
amplifiers, like an F3.

Mr. Pass,
Would you be so kind as to let us know what you think about your Audio Nirvana speakers when you get the chance? I know you just got them in so it may be a while. I have not seen very many posts about AN on DIY and yet I have been in a quagmire about whether to buy the AN super 8, 10, or 12 versus a pair of Fostex. Your opinion obviously is very valued around here and the next amp I build will be the F5 ( I have been following since about 5th post -Thanks for a simple design. I think I can handle this one :) ). I am reading your paper on high efficiency speakers and current source amps right now.
Hope you or others will share your/their NA experience and maybe even have a preference versus Fostex.
For me, I have only experience with the 4.5" FE127 with a K-502 tube and a Harmon Kardon 135. I really like it but the bass is lacking and the recording quality is shown with no shame by these speakers. So just when I think the speakers are not very good at all, I pop in some Tracy Chapman or Bruce Hornsby and they sound wonderful.
Anywho, sure would love to know what you and others think of the AN line.
Thanks so much
Uriah

My AN 12s just arrived as well...

Just got my AN Super 12s too. Sadly it'll be a while before I can get them in something and hooked up.

I'd been thinking of building the box that Common Sense Audio recommends for these drivers, but am curious about the decision to try these drivers in an open baffle design...

I have been reading for about 5 hours of this day about ANs and other OB FRs. Cant wait to see what Mr. Pass does with his and what his impressions are. It seems that most people with an opinion on the ANs have never heard them and a few people who have built enclosures have been told that what they are hearing really isnt as good as they are claiming! :) Well, I believe these can work well. I was considering OB but saw a post where a young DIYer was really impressed with the imaging he got using the CSA provided 2.8 design. I have more reading to do but for the speakers first enclosure I will probably end up OB since it will be so easy to give it a shot.

Has anyone seen any really good and educational threads about OB for the AN speakers in general or AN 12" specifically?

Mr. Pass will you be using the CSA provided OB design in your testing for all 6 AN speakers?
Uriah

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
udailey said:
Mr. Pass will you be using the CSA provided OB design in your testing for all 6 AN speakers?

I had one of the twins make a large stock of baffles last summer, and
my plan is to work through those. I pretty much have learned what
works best for me in a baffle, and I have also worked up a set of
electronics that helps me get what I want. All this is coming to
some sort of fruition shortly, especially after this weekend, where I,
my son Colin, and two nephews carved most of the rest of the wood
for 25 remaining pairs.

So it's coming along, and I intend to include 6 pairs of AN, along
with numerous pairs of Lowthers, Fostex, Feastrex, and Moth, the
bulk of them mated with woofers.

I have some AN Super 8's in the Commonsense Audio recommended large Bass Reflex boxes. I really like them a lot. I use them with vintage solid state equipment- Marantz 3800 Pre-Amp, Hafler XL-280 Power Amp, Cambridge Audio CD, and Project Model 1 Turntable.

I installed the drivers in the boxes from CA plans that I had buit by a cabinet maker. So far they are the best speakers that I have ever had. ( I have not owned any high end audiophile speakers to compare them to) Still, they sound great to me.

The project has gotten me interested in DIY audio and I am now planning to build an amp and some BIB speakers.

Sealed Box AN speakers

Hi Papa,

How do the AN Super 8s in sealed boxes compare with the other full-range drivers you've used and liked?

I just heard the Fostex 206E with an F1 and loved the combo (which I expected given the testing you showed in your 6moons article on the F1).

Hopefully I'll get my AN Super 12 ported boxes (Common Sense's design) built in the next few weeks.

And Urich, your speakers look great. Ready to give any listening impressions?

Looking forward to hearing what everyone has to say when the time is right.

-Roscoe

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.