First Watt F1 with Audio Nirvana Super 12?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
what say you of the super 8 alnico?

I have a pair of super 12's due in tomorrow, and some stuff will
start appearing on them after a while.

I don't know how the F1 will drive them, but from experience, if you
are willing to work to develop a network in parallel to make the
interface, you can get pretty good results.

If you haven't read the pieces on Full Range Speakers + Current
Source Amplifiers and Crossovers for Current Source Amplifiers
( www.firstwatt.com ) you should take a look.

Lacking other information, you can consider "regular" sorts of
amplifiers, like an F3.

what is your impression of the AUDIO NIRVANA SUPER 8 ALNICO in an open baffle speaker set up ? do you have to have a like hinged baffle to dominate the room to get decent bass? what if moderate bass is the goal? could the super 8 alnico work in a smaller baffle? [i live in a small apt and have neighbors]

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I have the AN6, AN6 super, AN8, AN8 super, AN10 and AN12.

I have curves and short term listening on all, but a
comprehensive system work-up only on the AN6 and AN6s,
all these in big open baffles with Eminence 15 inch woofers.

In general, these are very nice drivers at reasonable prices.
No reason you shouldn't consider them.

:cool:

Finally got subwoofers to compliment my AN Super 12's. Never going back. Ever.
Lab12 Eminence drivers meld very well with the ANs. I turned off the subs after about a week and was befuddled by why I would have listened to that sound previously and considered it so great. It was great for what it was but what it was was low mids and up. If you have these speakers please consider at a minimum one Lab12 in a box. Thats all, no big deal and easy to build. You wont regret it a bit.
Hey Papa, hows that paper including AN driver data coming ;)
Uriah

The prices are getting so crazy with that Alnico though... I dunno. I like mine a lot.
I cross at 100Hz only because I cant go any higher. I feel like even just 20Hz more would be perfect. Right now the integration as far as speed of the subs keeping up with the ANs and sounding like they are all just one speaker on either side is great but I feel like there is a bit of room for a higher roll off frequency on the subs. I bought one of those Keiga plate amps with the ICE Power 1000AS* (its not an ASP but an AS*, not sure which letter the * is). It has a dial with I think 50-100 (100Hz is for sure the top, unsure about 50) so you can select max frequency. It has a gain control, a 0-180 phase switch, auto on (thats super nice) and a switch to select if you want a 25Hz boost which I leave OFF.
Thats it. Nothing special and it was super easy. If I get a bug up my you know what I will remove that crossover and build my own. Should be pretty simple, but right now 100Hz.
If you ever need a long answer that says the same thing several times you know who to ask :)
Love my ANs!
Uriah

OH PS I bought my Lab12 speakers from Wayne Parham of Pi Speakers. Great guy and definitely look him up if you are thinking of buying some. His are a couple, seriously only a couple, dollars more than your cheapest Lab12 on the net but the service you will get from Wayne and the fact that he is a huge asset to us DIYers is way worth it.

Has anyone tried a dual AN 12" stamped in a single cabinet?

Just curious. I described my wants from a main speaker and the commonsense suggested the AN15" and also the 12". After checking the price it seems like you could get almost twp pairs of stamped 12's for the price of a single coax 15's.

My first post here...
I have been a happy listener of AN super 8 drivers in 5.6 cabinets.
The presence and tone color are amazing. The speakers on a good recording indeed open a window into recording space and I all but "see" the performers.
I must say that one instrument that is consistently reproduced to the perfection is flute.
The bass is however a bit on the lighter side.
I have been looking at 12 or 15 drivers. There are some user opinions on these drivers, but I would like to find out more.
Has anyone listened to 15 coax?
I am mainly looking to listen to classical and jazz. 15 Alnico look good as well as 12.
I have been worried about the top register on 15 cast frame or alnico and considering coax.
I would love to hear any input regarding these.
Rest of my system is: Dared SET amp, Marantz CD player and Empire turntable.
thank you in advance!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.