Advice for a new amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th May 2008, 07:22 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Advice for a new amp

Hi,

i would like to start a new interesting project.
I was first interested on building an high current version of the Aleph AX but then i came across with the F4/5'threads.

The preamplifier i have recently built is -output attenuator configuration/AC Gain- set for a maximum gain of 1.6 (+4dB).
I could rise it to a maximum of 12db (8Vpk-pk) by lowering the AC resistor down to the lower limit of 200ohm, but i don't know if it would be a proper thing to do.
I have read that in order to take fully advantages of the F4's potential, at least, a +14dB gain preamp would be required.

I have also read F5's thread but i am not so convinced about it.
It seems that the subject is not mature enough yet.
More, the amp is not a pure Class A but runs in Class B as well (i know this is not harmful but i would like to build a pure Class A).

I don't know but F5 looks like a very good but little Amp compared to the AX.

I am sure that an high current version of the aleph AX will be more expensive due to the big transformers and big heat-sinks...but at the same time..I don't know if you guys think that Aleph AX is getting a little passed by this F4/5 or what and that would be smarted to build these other designs.

I hope you guys can give me some suggestions or share with me some experience gained building one of these projects.

Thanks a lot for the attention.
Old 7th May 2008, 11:50 PM   #2
The one and only

The F4 has about the same bias as the F5, and both operate
Class A to 25 watts or so into 8. Beyond those figures, both
are considered Class AB.
Old 8th May 2008, 01:15 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

would it be possible to make it run in class A for a wider range lets say 50W or so, by paralleling more output devices and increasing bias as it's been done for the aleph X without compromising the sonic signature?
Old 8th May 2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

How about just building an F4 or 5 and see if you still feel there is a problem.
You need to gain some experience with amps. Once you have some experience, those questions may either not arise, or you will know the answer yourself.

Magura
Old 8th May 2008, 10:15 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

thank you for your reply.
I don't feel there is any problem with F4/5, don't get me wrong.
It's just that I like to build something more consistent (i don't like the idea of having just 2 mosfets per ch. and a small 300VA trafo and that's it).
I know, F5 is an excellent amplifier and i know there are advantages on only having two output devices and i am clearly amazed by the square wave response of that little baby.

F5 as far as it goes is a $3K product but the AXs are a much more expensive piece of equipment.
Therefore i am wondering if, by starting to build the Aleph XA version that better fits my requirements, at the end of the experience, i would gain more experience and a better power amp,well it would be great.

Obviously if the expense required to build an high current version of the AX (i am just thinking about the cost of a good 1KW plitron transofmer, big heatsinks and big reservoir capacitors.....) wouldn't be worth the final sound if compared to the performance of the F5...OBVIOUSLY i would go for the newer First Watt

I don't know if this makes sense to you.

If anybody has the possibility to share with me his opinion/ideas it would be great.
Old 8th May 2008, 11:37 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

What's the efficiency of the speakers you intend to drive with the amp?

Magura
Old 9th May 2008, 01:07 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

"What's the efficiency of the speakers you intend to drive with the amp?"

^Second

You could take the money and time to build a Aleph-X and instead build a F5 and a Aleph-3 or Aleph-J. You could even save a little more money and build a Aleph-M and top it all off with a Zen. Really though if you build a F5 on-the-cheap (though I do not condone this behavior) and a Aleph-M/J/3 you can get a good taste of the sound of both since the Aleph-X is after all related to the other Aleph's. This would also allow you to understand the workings of the Aleph circuit before you decided to attempt a Aleph-X. Besides, it is hard to lose with a Aleph and a F5 sitting side-by-side!

Cheers

James
Old 9th May 2008, 01:21 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JPeitzman
"What's the efficiency of the speakers you intend to drive with the amp?"

^Second

You could take the money and time to build a Aleph-X and instead build a F5 and a Aleph-3 or Aleph-J. You could even save a little more money and build a Aleph-M and top it all off with a Zen. Really though if you build a F5 on-the-cheap (though I do not condone this behavior) and a Aleph-M/J/3 you can get a good taste of the sound of both since the Aleph-X is after all related to the other Aleph's. This would also allow you to understand the workings of the Aleph circuit before you decided to attempt a Aleph-X. Besides, it is hard to lose with a Aleph and a F5 sitting side-by-side!

Cheers

James
Not to mention the fact that just about all the amps James just mentioned, works straight out of the box, not so for the AX in most cases I have seen.
So far I guess less than 20 of the 400+ AX boards from the group buy, have ended up as working amps....loads of people have some very expensive and not working projects laying around.

Magura
Old 9th May 2008, 04:49 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Not to mention the fact that just about all the amps James just mentioned, works straight out of the box, not so for the AX in most cases I have seen.
So far I guess less than 20 of the 400+ AX boards from the group buy, have ended up as working amps....loads of people have some very expensive and not working projects laying around.
A good point. The Aleph-X can be an amazing amplifier, life changing, once you get all the kinks worked out. Personally I would build a F5, Aleph-(something), and a Zen and compare them all. Three projects for the price of one. If it where me I would save the Aleph-X for the long-term, "collect parts as you go" projects list. For instance, buy a bunch of MOSFET's, match them for the A-X, then use unmatched strays for a Zen or Aleph-M...or SEWA. Just a thought but trust me, if you decide to go "all out" and build a high power Aleph-X you will have lots of support. One more thing, I would build the small "baby" Aleph-X first and then scale it from there, much less frustration down the road.

Quote:
i don't like the idea of having just 2 mosfets per ch. and a small 300VA trafo and that's it
When properly heatsinked the IFRP240 and IRFP9240 have a fairly large SOA. Sides FET's don't mind as much being warm, not like those picky BJT's. I guess the tube guy in me likes my amps warm though, my house soon to be complete with central DHT heating, keep me toasty on those cold winter nights . If you wanted you could beef up the supply, 500VA or bigger, but really no need for a 1kva or anything like this here. This is a bit different of an animal than a 100watt+ Aleph-X.

Cheers

James
Old 9th May 2008, 01:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

thanks to all of you guys for your replies.
I have B&W 805 so efficient is on the average i think something like 87dB but they sink a lot of current as many amplifier i have tried so far weren't able to properly drive it.

anyways...i would like to build a power amp that is close to the load change inviariant condition.
I know this is very difficolt if not impossible....but as far as i am concerned a good power amplifier doesn't have problem if connected to a good speaker no matter if it is a B&W or a Avalon or a Thiel or a Klipsh....or whatever

that's my point.

Somebody told me that XA that Nelson makes...the commercial product i mean...is another thing compared to the DIY version as he uses jfets and other features.
So i guess that the original XA is obviously an expensive product but i don't feel it could be the same for the AX though.....this is my two cents.

F5 is a commercial and very well studied project by NP and i am sure that it sounds nice.
I just would like to have the possibility to expand it....build a monoblock balance X version of the F5.

somebodyelse told me to look at the F5 3d for balance version...but i see some attempts....i would not consider tims's attemps as well..and there is somebody else that asks to nelson if a bridge version would be better than X'd ..but i haven't seen an actual schematic with a balanced x version of the F5.

Putting aside the idea of buying parts for a 40W and then recycle them for a 60-80 or 100W....well....which is not possible i personaly like to find a good train of thoughts and a good project to work on and continue with that till it doesn't properly work.

obviously with a modulare structure it works great to start from the baby and expand it....

hope this post my make a sense and sombody might give me some good advice.

thanks a lot.

Hide this!Advertise here!