Aleph5 (MiniA) in flames

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

I'm building an Aleph5 (miniA-PCBs). I connected one channel only to test and actually everything worked fine for about 3 minutes.

Then something strange happened!

Music stopped and two resistors caught fire. First R29 on one of the output boards, then R21 on the Amplifier board.

I have checked every wire, but everything seems fine. There's no visible damage to the other components on the cards.

Please see http://www.diyamps.com/aleph for PCB layouts and schematics.

Thank you

I would check the insulation from the output devices to the heatsink. I've had similar problem what metal dust from drilling mounting holes was piercing the insulator pads, connecting the upper and the lower fet banks.

I have to say...A spectacular event when these power fets explode...

What would you suggest be the best way of figuring out this rather explosive incident. We really thought that everything was working rather well, and then suddenly a thump in the speaker and then flames. First from the negative board on the heatsink, a 221 ohm resistor, then another 221ohm resistor on the main board.

Would you try hooking up the other channel (only using the PS)?

This incident sort of drained any motivation..but we´ll get over it!

Thanks for any help!

- Folke

Hi Folke,

When the insulation is OK, I would check the thermal coupling to the heatsink. This phenomena can also happen when the junction reaches >150C temp.

A burnt gate resistor is one of the typical events when the fet has a thermal overload.

Before firing the 2nd channel, I would check all components on the PCB as well as the insulation and the thermal coupling of the output devices.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.