Buying a 400A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
I'm contracting the purchase of a Thresold 400A.
The seller assure me it is in good working order and totally original. He sent me some out-inside pics but I'm not an expert and the only strange thing I've noticed is the white (bleah!) on-off switch...
Could someone of you 400A experts (Nelson?...) watch the pics and give me an opinion?
Thanks for help.:cool:

Here is the first picture...

Attachments

• dsc00200.jpg
    dsc00200.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 846
Hello MyWing, Perhaps it's just me, but when I look at the first picture, it appears that the second fuse socket from the right in the row of four is broken. I can't say for sure, but you may want to take a closer look at the picture. If that's busted, then what else may be wrong?!:xeye:

Peace,

Dave

My "new" old 400A has arrived .
But I had a bad surprise. It sounds arsh, woody, dry, with absent highest frequencies absent, annoying mids...
This happens with both my preamps (a restored Threshold Sl-10 and an AR SP10).
The situation improves slightly with low volume...
What may be happened? The seller assured me that the unit is totally original and any component has been changed.
The only explanation I can give this sonic degradation is the ageing of capacitors and other internal components. What do you think about?
Who has had the opportunity to restore a 400A, has noticed a similar deterioration sound which I heard before the restoration?
Has someone an opinion about that? Nelson ... ?...

Another question: I came in mind that all this could be caused by a probable incompatibility with my Snell A. Perhaps does 400A suffer 4 ohms speakers?

Any suggestion and opinion are well accepted.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
It looks like you will experience the pleasure of making the amplifier
much better.

A number of people in the forum have worked on these. Obvious
candidates is replacement of capacitors, replacement of connectors,
fuse holders and whatnot, and bias adjustments.

As a rule the semiconductors do not need replacement unless there
is an obvious problem.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.