The Drek builder's thread - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th April 2008, 01:20 AM   #21
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Zen Mod
so , cviller - anything new ?

( I'm ready for another public humiliation )

Hmm, very worried Choky.- Bad sign

Magura
Old 29th April 2008, 01:56 AM   #22
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Magura

Hmm, very worried Choky.- Bad sign

Magura

naah

just sleepless ........
Old 29th April 2008, 05:52 AM   #23
cviller is offline cviller  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Yes, kinda... I bought a house

On the drek front, not much have happened. I have matched my 2sk369's and mailed a pcb set to lykkedk, so I guess we'll hear something from him during the weekend...
Old 29th April 2008, 11:54 AM   #24
Magura is offline Magura  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cviller
Yes, kinda... I bought a house

On the drek front, not much have happened. I have matched my 2sk369's and mailed a pcb set to lykkedk, so I guess we'll hear something from him during the weekend...

Yeah, let's wipe it off on Lykke

Magura

EDIT: Oh and congratulations
A house ought to make DIY easier, and it sure does. Unfortunately most people experience more space as an opposite linear function of time available for DIY efforts
Old 29th April 2008, 12:17 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Hi cviller

Nice object to build and I'm also interested to build something like that.
Couple of questions.
Which choke do you use?
Why use a neg supply if you connect the choke to ground you can skip the output caps.

Rob
Old 29th April 2008, 01:29 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rob Dingen
Which choke do you use?
Why use a neg supply if you connect the choke to ground you can skip the output caps.

Rob

Choke is Magura-san's creation ; I'm sure that he'll chip in and say more ;

regarding secoond question - per Magura-san's wish , there is substantial current going through output stage(s) , and choke always have some Rdc , so , offset can't be negligible , either - in case that you ground center tap .
Old 29th April 2008, 03:17 PM   #27
lykkedk is offline lykkedk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to lykkedk
Quote:
Whoo... looking forward to recieve that package CViller...

I think, if possible that some (Magura?) could tell howto make those choke's for the Drek. Just a thumbrule would be good... I was thinking of inner-size / outher-size and ~widht, and ofcause coil size (awg / mm.) ... And what is best regarding DC-resistance (small or thick Cu. wire ?) ... I think that not many know howto actually finish this Drek because of them coils... So mr. 'X' (Magura?) .. could you perhap's help us a little here

Also (Correct me if i am wrong please!) ... The hole idea about using a choke for the Drek, is to have a constant current supply for the fet's/jfet's. The coil/inductor, has the capabillity to hold on, and spit out, some currency, when circuit need it... like a sort of current accumulator/buffer.

Jesper.
Old 29th April 2008, 07:35 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

Well this is not a inductor-design thread ... but i found this LINK! which i found very interesting. I tried to wind up, and old ''1mH 1mm 0,49 Ohm'', and the inductor-calculator was calculating very near that coil.

So... my quiston is now, if i should go for thick >=1mm or thin <=0,6mm Cu wire ??? The DC-resistance goes up, when wire gets thinner.
I would sure like to know, if 120mH with 1mm wire (6 ohm) is better than 160mH with 0,5mm wire (26 ohm) ... Hope someone could help me out, with a little explanation.

As Magura told me, some day's ago, i should just wind up two inductor's in one, so that i have two let's say 0,49mm. wires laying aside in that form.
The trick when calculating using that link, is to just double the length(please see, where length is messured on link) of the coil, and use the same number of turn's for getting two inductors in one.

Jesper.
Old 29th April 2008, 09:29 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lykkedk
Well ............
So... my quiston is now, if i should go for thick >=1mm or thin <=0,6mm Cu wire ??? The DC-resistance goes up, when wire gets thinner.
I would sure like to know, if 120mH with 1mm wire (6 ohm) is better than 160mH with 0,5mm wire (26 ohm) ... Hope someone could help me out, with a little explanation.

that really depends of your goals ...... what's the current through coil , what are losses you can allow .

for Drek - 160mH is certainly better than 120 is certainly better than 12 is certainly better than 1,2 is certainly better than 0,12 is certainly better than 0,012 is certainly better than 0,0012 is certainly better than 0,00012 is certainly better than 0,000012

Old 30th April 2008, 04:03 AM   #30
diyAudio Member

Well, i allready know that 160mH is better than half, but when looking at schmatics i can't tell how much current, that will flow through them. Actually i would like to know, the benefit of having small/large (high R or low R) in thoose chokes in this circuit.
Making a 160mH dualcoil with 0,25mm wire is much easier than doing it with 1mm wire. So what's the deal regardingn thickness/Resistance ?

Jesper.

Hide this!Advertise here!