Help with Aleph 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all

I'm building an Aleph 5 with Mini-A PCBs. I got all the parts as a kit, and the enclosed parts list is taken from Brian's website (http://www.diyamps.com/aleph/aleph.shtml).

To test, I've connected one of the amplifier boards (hooked up to 2 output boards) to the power supply. I get no voltage across R4 or D1 and no sound at all :(

The power supply is fine.

Could it be something missing on the boards? I have two 3ohm 1W resistors I don't know where to put. The only 3ohm in the parts-list is R0 (3W).

Thanks,

Stig

Nelson Pass said:
Apparently you are operating off a different schematic than what
I have. Can somebody post a copy?

The MINI-A boards are the blue variety I believe , which were based basically on the A3-30. I do not have a schematic for the 5. Apparently an Aleph 5 was built on these boards with higher rails and more devices in the output.

stighe said:
Hi all

I'm building an Aleph 5 with Mini-A PCBs. I got all the parts as a kit, and the enclosed parts list is taken from Brian's website (http://www.diyamps.com/aleph/aleph.shtml).

To test, I've connected one of the amplifier boards (hooked up to 2 output boards) to the power supply. I get no voltage across R4 or D1 and no sound at all :(

The power supply is fine.

Could it be something missing on the boards? I have two 3ohm 1W resistors I don't know where to put. The only 3ohm in the parts-list is R0 (3W).

Thanks,

Stig

sandstorm33 has it coverd. I have no idea where or what D1 is and for those "spare 3ohm resistors" assuming you have a short or some other 3ohm resistors in R0 you can keep these in your parts draw.

http://www.diyamps.com/aleph/docs/miniAleph-sch.pdf

Stig and I tried to compare the schematics of the original aleph 5 design to the schematics of the aleph mini. To state the obvious: They are not identical.

Has anyone on the forum built a aleph 5 with these boards? The person who sold the kit has apparently gone underground so we can't turn to him for help.

I remember from when I built the aleph 1.2s I forgot the led light and I experienced the same issues as we do now. However, by soldering in the led everything worked fine. Incidently, I notice that there is no led in the aleph mini schematic. Can it be that history is repeating itself, the infamous missing led again?

You must have gotten a parts list with the kit. How does it describe D1??

It is possible that a LED was in the design . If so it would be connected at the positive rail through a 10K? resistor (anode) to the collector of the CCS BJT(cathode). I believe that is the way it was done on the 1.2.
wortha try!!!

sandstorm33 said:
You must have gotten a parts list with the kit. How does it describe D1??

It is possible that a LED was in the design . If so it would be connected at the positive rail through a 10K? resistor (anode) to the collector of the CCS BJT(cathode). I believe that is the way it was done on the 1.2.
wortha try!!!

Correction;anode of led to Emitter!

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I built two Aleph-2 Clones using these boards and doubling up on the FET boards. They have run fine for over a year and heat my house just fine, which I don't need in the Valley.

It took a lot of care to figure out what went on the FET boards and what did not go on the main board, so I would trace back through how you made those connections.

Attachments

• minialeph-parts_list.zip
    4.4 KB · Views: 43
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.