F5 power amplifier

the flow and return of every current should cancel their electromagnetic fields. Wide spaced conductors cannot achieve this cancellation.
Twisted pairs (or even better star quads) make a very good job of minimising interference emission and reception.

Twisted pairs everywhere.

Hi AndrewT

Thank you for the explanation. I was enlightened.

Best regards

Just had another look at your layout and you might find it beneficial to move the power supply boards as far away from the inputs on the power amp as you can manage - it's much better to keep the high current surges that occur between the transformer, diodes and that first supply cap away from any low level signal circuitry.

Still plenty of room to fit a couple of dc protection pcbs next to the o/p terminals - I use them all the time - it's easy to power them off the main rails via a couple of regulators to ensure no rail contamination/interference.

All the best with your build.

Just had another look at your layout and you might find it beneficial to move the power supply boards as far away from the inputs on the power amp as you can manage - it's much better to keep the high current surges that occur between the transformer, diodes and that first supply cap away from any low level signal circuitry.

Still plenty of room to fit a couple of dc protection pcbs next to the o/p terminals - I use them all the time - it's easy to power them off the main rails via a couple of regulators to ensure no rail contamination/interference.

All the best with your build.

Okay, I'll follow their advice. Once again thank you for your support.

Best regards

F5 and mains ground

Hi,
I was quite happy with F5 until moving in a new house. The sound in a new room where the F5 is now installed has nothing in common with what it was before. I thought that it is due to acoustic properties of the new room. Than, I decided to check if the bad sound can be because of mains without ground. It is a rather old house and the mains in the living rooms are without ground, just neural and phase. I have connected the F5 to a socket with the ground wire and, at least this was my impression, the sound became much better. So, here is the question. Is it possible that the presence or absence of the ground wire changes something for F5?

grounds

A friend of mine moved to a old neighborhood and his outlets have no gnd .
He called all upset with hum and bad audio, all his stuff is high end and all balanced,,,,I metered as much as 12 volts between his chassis,Long story short new 3 wire Solid wiring to his setup from the drop,
He also had 124 volts AC on one leg and 121 on the other ,replaced both breakers and fixed that!
I haven't tried hospital grade duplex recepticals but I will thanks !!! are they all the same or some better than others?

I think an f5 with floating ground won't work very well and it might cause problems with hum. In former times - at least in Germany - it was common to tie the ground to the neutral in the outlet. This is the way it's done in my house (in the rooms with old cabling). But there are safety issues with that practice, the case of the amp will be under voltage in the case of a fault. I would only do it with a working fault-current circuit breaker.

And you might need a ground-loop breaking circuit if you do it like that. If implemented well this solution might work as good as a correct ground. In fact in every house the Ground and the neutral line are tied together but at a central point if installed correctly.

But be aware that you are leaving the European standards of electrical safety when implementing a grounding of the amp like that!

regards

Last edited:
I have only used Hubbell hospital grade outlets. A friend of mine who works for a electrical supplier got them for me. I did try an assortment of regular duplex outlets years ago. Eagle brand ones sounded the best from what I remember. But the company is out of business. The original GE ones in the wall were so-so.

All seems like voo-doo. Not sure what makes the difference, but it works. Also a direct home run to the panel sounds a bit better too.

I think an f5 with floating ground won't work very well and it might cause problems with hum. In former times - at least in Germany - it was common to tie the ground to the neutral in the outlet. This is the way it's done in my house (in the rooms with old cabling). But there are safety issues with that practice, the case of the amp will be under voltage in the case of a fault. I would only do it with a working fault-current circuit breaker.

And you might need a ground-loop breaking circuit if you do it like that. If implemented well this solution might work as good as a correct ground. In fact in every house the Ground and the neutral line are tied together but at a central point if installed correctly.

But be aware that you are leaving the European standards of electrical safety when implementing a grounding of the amp like that!

regards
If it was a hum it would be more or the less understandable. One may have a difference of potentials between a source (in my case a computer with e-mu sound card) and the F5. But there is no any hum. It seems that the ground, which is attached to the F5 only at the mains inputs, changes completely sound signature. Looking at the F5 schematics, I do not understand how it can be explained.