F5 power amplifier

There is already a F5-turbo thread: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/206240-f5-turbo-posted.html#post2896796

Hey, guys...... the original F5 thread is already HUGE......

How about starting a new "Constructing the F5 Turbo" thread, to make both the F5 and F5 Turbo threads more manageable.

If we did that, I'd recommend the moderators take the F5 Turbo PCB discussions, etc, on this thread and migrate them to the new Turbo category.

Over time I can see the F5 Turbo (and its popularity) getting as large as the original F5 thread.....

Ya think??

Here is my f5 amp's chassis.It looks so simple.
ı think its completed in a few days

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    710.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 653
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    770.3 KB · Views: 640
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Well I don't think it's a PS issue at this point... Pulled one of the input cables out accidentally when I was troubleshooting, and the noise vanished... So, with either channel connected and the other disconnected, quiet as a church mouse, both channels connected, the buzz is back. It's not much, but enough to be noticeable with my 105dB/w horns. I don't think it can be a ground loop, even does it when connected to a battery powered JBOZ that's not connected to anything that's grounded...

:smash::smash::smash:

Any ideas?

Roscoe

Hi Roscoe,

did you solve your problem?
I have exactly the same problem with my new F5.
When the 2nd cinch cable is connected, i have a light deep hum in my horns (107dB/w).

:sad:

Hi Roscoe,

did you solve your problem?
I have exactly the same problem with my new F5.
When the 2nd cinch cable is connected, i have a light deep hum in my horns (107dB/w).

:sad:
*Had* the same symptoms. Have grey hair to prove it...

Re-routed the PCB power, In and Out 0-volt wiring to a proper star-ground point. Made sure all "symmetric" cables are of the same/similar length. Problem gone.

Other things to try
- a small polyprop cap (2.2uF) across the rails (parallel with the last bank of the PSU caps).
- use proper shielded cable for In (but connect only ONE side of the shield to 0-volt!).

As a matter of interest, with In plugs shortened, what is the AC offset that you get on the output? (it's not the DC offset that you hear as hum)

Joined 2009
Paid Member
*Had* the same symptoms. Have grey hair to prove it...

Re-routed the PCB power, In and Out 0-volt wiring to a proper star-ground point. Made sure all "symmetric" cables are of the same/similar length. Problem gone.

Other things to try
- a small polyprop cap (2.2uF) across the rails (parallel with the last bank of the PSU caps).
- use proper shielded cable for In (but connect only ONE side of the shield to 0-volt!).

As a matter of interest, with In plugs shortened, what is the AC offset that you get on the output? (it's not the DC offset that you hear as hum)

All cables are symmetrical build. You could have a look in my blog for that.
If i short the right channel, the hum vanished...

The AC offset with connected cables (hum) is 4,2mV. When the right channel is shortened, AC = 0.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I have switched the pre amp to my audionet with 1m Nordost Tyr
and made a quick star ground modification to my psu pcb:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The result:

Still a small hum in both speakers, when both interconnects are connected.

It vanished only when i short the right input...:confused:

Did anyone have additional ideas?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Concerning the 'standard' F5, what needs to change to increase the overall gain? A little more input sensitivity would be very welcome.

Has anybody done it? What values are required?

Very interested in the out come here, I'm sure several out there would like the few more dB of gain, and are just too chicken to jump, like myself! In the Turbo F-5 article, Mr Pass talks about this and changes some resistors to increase gain, would these same changes work with the standard F-5, or are they particular to the Turbo version in the article? My reading seem to make me feel this would be fine, but you could fill a battleship with what I dont know here!

Thanks,

Russellc