F5 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
ZM--in case you missed it.....

naah ..... I'm good with Papa's Koan and all other goodies Papa already gave me ;
and those are just material things for which I'm grateful .......
( sometimes isn't cheap if you don't want to adopt Mighty ZM ..... :rofl: )

I can see the carnage now.... DIY audiophile fighting with DIY audiophile..... Arm-wrestling over faceplates. Oh...the HUMANITY....!! :)

no comment ......... except that I have impression that somewhere must be a list of recipients ...... time is for heavy woodoo , if you want to be on it

Attachments

• crazyrocker.gif
    crazyrocker.gif
    953 bytes · Views: 645
Probably ZM, as I see the B5 - which is OB X-Over. Good call.

Sorry, Tea-Bag, it's a B1, not B5.

Well spotted, Zen-Mod. They are Silver Iris 15". In that photo still in the boxes they came in. I have since mounted them in 24 x 36 (600 x 900) MDF baffles, 07032011343.jpg
but they do not sound right to me. I hope to test some Fostex FE206En's in the same baffles in a few weeks time, but am not sure it is going to give the sound I want.

The above is setup in Australia where I currently am. I run a different system in Europe with an original Aleph 3 for mid/high on a set of old Magnepan MG3A's (all bought second hand). I have never been able to compare the F5 to the Aleph 3 as they are 20,000 km apart and I do not have a set of speaker cables that are long enough!

In Europe, I also have a set of Aleph 2 clone monoblocks a friend of mine built for me some years ago. Nice and of course more power, but the Aleph 3 is nicer. Could be parts too, as in the last 8 months or so I have been reading a lot on this site. Am considering upgrading the Aleph 2's (ZVP3310A for input and CSS, Silmic II 220uF caps and replacing the low-level wiring that I recently discovered was very cheap silver on copper on steel core coax).

I am considering replacing the Iris OB's by Magnepan MG1.7 (would like 3.7 or new 20.7 but hey, these things cost serious money! Too bad they dropped the biamp option on the .7's :mad:). But for Magnepans the F5 is probably too small. Hence the need for a TURBO! :whip:

PS Yes, those are computer tapes under the feet of the OB's. I used them to angle the speakers to my listening position.

Last edited:
Looks like FQA19N20C has to be a higher current part then the FQA12P20 in the F5. Seems kind of scary to use a TO220 part considering how hot these parts run in the amp.

I do have some of both which I've had for while. Just not sure how many are needed to find matching pairs.

Last edited: