F5 power amplifier

Nope, not at all...and these have been verified as similar to his by sangram. All I'm trying to point out is the interpretation of what you are reading from the F5 output...at first glance it will tell us the readings come from the 2 feedback loops and the Source Rs but from the measurement values you called out other paralleled loops are also involved.

Btw, have you powered up your creation and listened?

Hum would be due to a ground loop problem, how have you connected the input, output and power grounds? My amp is dead silent, probably the quietest I've ever built.

Hi Richard. I know it's a pain, but it's well worth trying to eliminate the possibility of an earth loop before you delve deep into F5 component failure analysis. They are some right bloody gremlins to track down sometimes, because they sometimes occur due to cables that you can't practically remove from the setup, like your pre to power RCAs for example. That's why I sent you that link to the page that discusses directionality of earthing, and how the flow direction must be forced back away from the pre-amps and sources by way of cable size differences. The biggest mistake with earthing is, noting that all of the earth points link up to the same destination/source, deciding to not to send separate cables for each earth point and instead making a string that catches each one. I made that mistake, and I'm sure it's quite common to do so, but it causes hum, so check that you haven't done that anywhere.

To paraphrase LucasA;
Star ground > parallel > series grounding techniques.
Ron

Yeah, sorry to have used such descriptive, non technical terms, like I'm talking to a dumbass, rather than someone who has actually built a Class A amp (unlike me).

But yeah, Star grounding with tiny cables for signal earth to a signal sub-star linking with larger cables to the master star on the case body with power earths and huge cable to link the master star to the power inlet earth, keeps the flow in the right direction. Make sure that the signal earths are not directly attached to the case body.

Hello everyone here and hello papa! This is my first post in this thread, however I've been a reader of this thread for quite some months and have started to think of f5 as my next project. I have a question about the power mosfets.

Can Laterals be used in place of those IRF devices without problem? Has anyone here tried something alike?

I actually have some spare hitachi devices resting, so I thought I'd better put them to work. so...

Thanks in advance.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Laterals

yeah, I was daft enough to actually buy a bunch of selected Renesas

no good low conducting, they say

so I decided to use for other amp(AB)

But now I have decided to try them as double pairs in F5

I dont care if it wont be the best ever :p

I think part of the trick is to beat them hard with aggressive bias :bomb: and that means huge heatsinks, which I happen to have :D

Current limiting or no?

OK, so I have most of my F5 parts now, and I'm wondering, in light of what some have said about audible gains, whether or not to remove the current limiting part of the circuit.

I know it has been done several times with success, and apart from some reports that there is a marked improvement in the sound, (post 2814) all I know is that there will be a longer bias adjusting procedure and that I must make doubly sure that my heat sinks are adequate and that I don't short my outputs for so much as a split second.

Should I built the full circuit first and then cut the traces later, build the full circuit and be happy, or go straight for the purer/simpler circuit from the off?

So far, I have this: F5 without Current limiting/Thermistors

Unsubstantiated opinions welcome!

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
ehh, I thought all the bias issues only related to that thermistor thing, and that the thermistor it could still be used and work well, without the transistor limitor

anyway, Nelson's own F5 beats them all, with thermitor and limitor, as pr manual
but probably a balance act with special care to adjustments and parts

I suspect its also a matter how its put in use, with regards to speaker load, SPL, etc
Nelson suggest easy going speaker, and it is probably also tested that way, when winning the prices

others here may use totally different and tougher speakers, and that may change everything

you may have to look a summed amplification gain through your whole setup

Well, I think I will do the circuit as you settled on it Nelson. I can then evaluate it for myself instead of taking other's word for it.....if they knew so much, I guess they would have designed it in the first place and not you. :)

Thanks Admiral! My mind is made up. You the man! :cool:

OT: I've been meaning to ask you your thoughts on the DCB1. Have you tried it yet?

Build one channel with current limiter and one channel without current limiter.
Have a listen to both. If the circuit without current limiter sounds better, then remove the current limiter from the other channel.
If you can't tell the difference, then you may as well add it to the other channel.
Don't be afraid to experiment.