F5 power amplifier

If any body is in need of caps I have several new in box Illinois Capacitor 25V 15,000UF caps. pn# 159LBA025M2ED. I would be glad to sell some for cheap I have a lifetime supply of them. I figured I could build almost all pass amps I wanted to with them (Mini A, AlephX, F2, SOZ, etc).

I really need about 8 IRFP9240 Mosfets. I would be happy to trade some caps if you have spares.

Heres the Link, pdf was just a little too big to attach :(

159LBA025M2ED datasheet pdf datenblatt - Illinois Capacitor, Inc. - 85¡ÆC Snap-Mount Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors ::: ALLDATASHEET :::

With that much capacitance don't forget the soft-start thermistors, or you'll own stock in a fuse company. :)

Ron

Thanks Ron, I'll definitely add in the soft-starts. I'm only going to go with 8, just picked up 2 extra.

Does anyone have experience running the TSUP line of caps in an F5? Would they be ok to use, or should I seriously consider using something else?

Thanks,
Thor

Well if I redo the PSU, do I get another set of psu boards and another 300VA xformer or just replace the existing with a 600VA unit?

It would be easy to add another 22,000 uF per rail.

OK, I decided to go the 600VA xformer route and up the caps to 33,000 uF - 132,000 total uF.

Dont get me wrong - I am not disappointed in the sound of the F5 - I was just expecting more umph out of it. Serves me right for skimping on the PSU...

I wonder how the Aleph mini would sound with 4 more 22,000 uF caps and the 18V xformer? :cool:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I found I couldnt get a decent transient sound with less than 40 volts DC.
All my amps run off +/-60 volts DC so the transients arent clipped.

maybe your speakers are "issue" - not amps ;

I can't find any lack in transients with Papamps in range of 30W/ch , at least when using speakers intended for that , even of 16ohms variety .

in any case - you found working solution , for your circumstances .

maybe your speakers are "issue" - not amps ;

I can't find any lack in transients with Papamps in range of 30W/ch , at least when using speakers intended for that , even of 16ohms variety .

in any case - you found working solution , for your circumstances .

The speakers werent the problem, they were good quality and high effiecncy speakers.
When I looked on the scope the transients were clipping even for moderately loud music at 40VDC.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Definately not "party amps"
But amps are not to blame for that
And you may get something else instead
Things you usually wont get with big power amp
Thats the whole point from the beginning with FirstWatt
Theres still not "one size fits all"
You need to know what you want, and learn how to achieve it
That matters more that anything
The best isnt the best, if it doesnt do what you want
But true, the best amp amps will be of little help if your speakers doesnt match

I just did a qualitative side by side with a TA2022 amp that I built with just an ipod as source.

The TA2022 achieved a louder noise level and more bass at that level. HOWEVER there was distortion. The F5 was able to handle full volume on the ipod without a hiccup as they say. While not as "loud" it was clearer.

That took me to phase 2 of the experiment. I dragged down my Aikido 5687 preamp and plugged the ipod into it and the Aikido into the F5. WOW...now we're cooking with oil. I did not even bother plugging the T-Amp into the Aikido after that.

Now, that being said, it seems that I am not happy with the "normalized" gain of the F5 when listening to my normal source which is a line out from Directv...AND/OR the ipod is able to deliver a higher gain than the line out of my Directv receiver.

While I'm sure a more robust PSU will help, I think I am dealing with a gain issue more than anything else.

Yes, I have been considering the B1 that has been getting a lot of interest.

I built the B1 to go between my Apple TV and A pair of gainclone monos. I found that the volume from the amps was increased by the B1; more volume before clipping. I also tested the same configuration using an Apple Airport Express, finding the same to be true. Whatever the sound differences are between going directly from the Apple to the amps, or adding the B1 between them, I won't attempt to quantify. I will say that I prefer the B1 sound and not just because of the additional SPL I get using the B1.

Last edited: