F5 power amplifier

here are my resistor values that are out of wack. This is for the left channel, and the right channel is similar (as well as my other boards)

R1&R2: 8.1R, 8.5R (10R)
R5-R8: 12.3R, 15.8, 7.2, 15.8 (100R)
R15&R16: 1.6K (2.2K SERIES 4.7K)
R17&18: 130R (1K)
R19&R20: 130R (150R, NOT TOO BAD)
R21&R22: 130R, 173R (22K!)

does anyone know what is going on with my amp? my other boards read the same numbers and that's why i bought new parts and boards because they read so much off.

The resistors were all normal before they were loaded (didnt check after they were mounted though)

readings were as the amp hooked up to the PSU, but not 120V wall power

Last edited:
You cant measure the value of a resistor once you put it in the board. It ends up being in series and parallel with other resistors. Maybe you put in a 1k resistor that goes to ground and elsewhere you put in another resistor of 100R that goes to ground and if you measure from both sides of the 1k you measure the value of a 100R in parallel with a 1k. That would be kind of simple but then you resistors in series somewhere between those two and others going to ground and it ends up a mess to measure while in circuit.
Like look at your R21 and R22. They must be parallel to a resistor that is close to 150R. Probably R19 and R20 but I am not looking at the schematic right now.
Uriah

The voltage rating on those caps is a bit tighter than I would like:. If there were 35v ones you'd be better off...

25V rated caps in the stock F5 seems to be OK with Mr Pass.

Attachments

• 2_9[1].jpg
    2_9[1].jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 679
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Since I'm building four channels I'm looking for 16 of something. As usual, I think capacitor choices would cause much debate. Peter (the infamous one ;-) uses Jensen four-pole which are worth a small fortune. On the flip side of that coin we see some decent regular caps in the sub $10 range. I, just for the hell of it, may squander my kids inheritance ;-) and try Mundorf's Mlytic Audio Grade.

Regards,
Dan :)

Joined 2002
Paid Member
OK,

Up and running...Peter's PSU, and F5 boards, Dale CMF50 and Panasonic resistors, PSU is 4X22,000 uF 35V caps with 4X panasonic .47, JFETs are Blues toshibas, and MOSFETS are IRFP244 and IRFP9240.

Lastly which may lead me to my answer is the xformer which is an antek 300VA 18V unit.

I am currently running R11/R12 at 800mv and the heatsinks are HOT but I can touch them for a good 15 sec before I need to let go. DC on the speaker terminals is minimal - 10mv at best. I am reading 5.25V across R3/R4 on both channels

I have all current limiters and thermistors installed.

While the amp is dead quiet and am disappointed at the power. Honestly my aleph mini seems to pack more punch - at an anemic 13.5V rail voltage.

The rails on the F5 are running 22.6V tonight.

Any ideas where to look next? I am already considering either A-purchase a duplicate xformer or buy the 400 or 600VA unit.

thoughts?

DSC02628.jpg

Last edited: