F5 power amplifier

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I have a couple of the Silchar R-Core trannies. I played with them a bit in an F5
- I could not get them to not generate some hum.

I usually mount trafos with rubbers
Even the slightes "buzz" is "amplified" by the box
With rubbers it should become completely inaudible
If not, its no good
Trafos should definately not be heard at all

But it sounds like you have tried all thats possible
When you say "hum", I hope its not from speakers
And its both trafos, and not just one

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Strange. I have regular EIs which make absolutely no mechanical noise. It used to be a problem a few years ago, but they are silent even to the touch. Even the piddly little 180Va transformers I had on the F5, they would run hot, real hot, but they were still quiet as a mouse.

Hi,

what do you think about extra decoupling for the jfets like this?:scratch1:

Attachments

• F5+.JPG
    F5+.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 643
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
"decoupling"
Are you talking about the same
The suggested looks just like a "small" onboard 1000uf supply cap to me
Will that be fit fore classA? one reason I may have my doubts about such
Without knowing enough about, I would rather try and have the main supply caps closer to amp curcuit

"more stable" ? maybe best not say that :D

Well that is what decoupling is. But it is true that NP has expressed strong opinions against decoupling on the F5.
I would assume that this is highly dependent on the actual implementation, but since decoupling can give you better high frequency performance at best, I think it is very much irrelevant for this amp, unless you as jack use it in the ham bands.

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Oh, I thought "decoupling" was about small filmcaps

But ok, I see it now, theres a small 20ohm resistor added, in the suggested schematic
I my "common logic" and understanding of english, "DEcoupling is the resistor, more than the exstra cap, I guess

Well, I admit to have suggested similar a while back, to have seperate supply fore jfet
And it was explained to me that jfet and outputs are so very closely coupled, so that any differential imbalance from supply may cause severe problems