F5 power amplifier

Hi,
I was wondering what scopes/distortion analyzers people here use to find the sweetspot. I don't have any experience with these devices so I don't know what features to look for. Some of the USB devices I've seen on eBay look interesting like the following:
New PC-USB DSO-2090 USB PC-Based Digital Oscilloscope - eBay (item 110459178938 end time Dec-18-09 05:34:45 PST)
VT 100MHz PC USB Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyzer, Meter - eBay (item 110458713563 end time Nov-26-09 23:40:54 PST)
Any advice or recommendations appreciated.
Thanks

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
I hope its ok

Attachments

• F5  X4 rev 4x.JPG
    F5 X4 rev 4x.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 1,093
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hitachi Laterals w/F5

One channel of the Hitachi/F5 has been up and running since this afternoon.
Circuit same as F5 only with 2sk134 & 2sj49.
Biased up very easily to 1.24amps and >1mv offset which has not varied over a four hour period.

Taking this short break before heading back to wire in the +-G to the second channel.

Playing a Philips CD80 single crown dac w/ mod'd op amp outputs. BUF03 for the output buffer, I think the I/V is done with an AD797 if I recall. Running directly into the F5/H as the CD80 has variable outputs. Playing thru an old Maggie II.

I've got the mosfets on the paddle-wheel heatsink from the Old Colony Borbely B60 kit. I'm surprised it's running as cool as it is!

If this sounds good and behaves I'll switch the outputs over to the DC100's
which has three pair 2sj56/2sk176 per channel.:D

Last edited:
To those guys who want to use laterals instead the orig designed vertical I would think about to use lateral mosfet from Class D .
ACD101NDD Lateral Mosfets - Class-D Design Ltd.
These are nice 24A lateral .About the sound of these device I didn't heard them yet .
I have 8 pair at home , I did match them and thy are pretty close to each-other .
One think to be clear I do no want to advertise these mosfet , I do not get nothing for them .
I just put them up probably many people doesn't know these laterals .
May be I will test them in a regular (not X-ed) multiple power power mosfet version amplifier .
Yesterday I did modified my layout so I can use laterals to in case that would be better sound wise than my Toshiba devices .
Probably not , at last hard to believe it .
But who knows .
I think is better device than the 7A Renesans . You can read about the quality Renesans in the ESP site if you look up the project 101.
I built amplifier with the newly produced (by Renesans) mosfet I wasn't happy at all especially when I com paired them with the similar Exicon or with the orig Hitachi device .
Please do not ask me what was the differences . I woud not comment due to those people who already own some Rensans laterals .
Still can be better or much better than the IR device .
So I went to a local store in Toronto and I bought some (10 pair ,all what they had in the store ) orig Hitachi laterals . It was pricey butt hard to find orig Hitachi mosfet.

Greets

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
instead of one IRF(P) pair - it's wise to use at least two pairs of laterals , because of xconductance ( lacking in laterals) .

Zenmod, sorry to quote you this late

I bought the laterals especially fore the F5 multiple output, to be easier to drive
Tho I bought quads, I later on thought I better set the limit to double pairs
Are you suggesting I should use my quads, rather than just double pairs
I know this is getting a bit worn out

Still, Im also slightly confused about the need for bias
Not the total bias, but the minimum bias needed on each single device
Which was partly why I decided to limit to double pairs :scratch2:

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Zenmod, sorry to quote you this late

I bought the laterals especially fore the F5 multiple output, to be easier to drive
Tho I bought quads, I later on thought I better set the limit to double pairs
Are you suggesting I should use my quads, rather than just double pairs
I know this is getting a bit worn out

Still, Im also slightly confused about the need for bias
Not the total bias, but the minimum bias needed on each single device
Which was partly why I decided to limit to double pairs :scratch2:

laterals are pretty much good up from 100mA per device ;

stop thinkering too much - mount them all , crank bias as much your heatsinks and PSU can handle and enjoy .

later - if you think that you miss something - just parallel input jfets to add some juice ...... but that much later , when you have some good time with first iteration .

real spirit of laying Papapuzzle is to use brain and creativity , and learn ..... strictly acting by the book isn't most direct way for learning few things ....

;)

use (for start) few amp fuses in rails , be careful not to make shorts , and you'll not loose any greenies in process .

alazira, you going for less gain with the feedback resistors?

Hi Tea-Bag,
I am going to try the hitachi/renasis with the standard feedback resistor values first. It is my understanding that the 1ohm/100R/20R variation reduces feedback and increases the gain. I'll try that later. I only have enough resistors for one channel (thus the question about the sharing of resistors). By the way, do the mosfets need to be matched in this case since there will be four per channel?