F5 power amplifier

I'm a tea-seholic, mea maxima culpa.

I bought these square tea-bags in GB last spring, attached to eachother as a string in the box.
If i put two side-attached bags in a pot they stick like folding leaves and it takes long for the tea to reach prime time, i have to put them in one by one.

Power resistors are like little heatsinks, they need plenty clearance to cool properly.
Bundle them together and their temperature will skyrocket, despite having plenty power reserve.

Last edited:
Depending on wether Bluewater has wired or not the limiters.
In the second case, an intermittent short circuit could be lethal.
I am thinking about a thin strand of copper at one end of the cable for instance.
He said he replaced the channel which burnt again.
So, i immagine the cause is external.
...Better to ask Bluewater if he uses limiters.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
It is a little off topic isn't it :)

I was hoping for some help there.

:)
24 Volt supply, with 16 volts quiescent across 16 ohms.

I=V/R so that's 16/16 which is 1 amp.
Watts = I*V so that is 1*16 which is 16 watts.

That's under no signal conditions.
Worst case is the FET turning on and putting 24 volts less the drain source saturation voltage.
Lets go worst case and say 24 volts.
Using the above that's 36 watts.

The amp is AC coupled at the input however so that's not going to happen.

You need to choose a resistor (data sheets !) that will dissipate around 20 watts (preferably a non inductive component too) in the conditions you require ie free space, or attached to a heatsink where you have calculated the temperature rise etc and know it is within the operating limits of the resistor.

:) And my somewhat "unkind" last comment.

If we take the power out (headphones) as say 20mw and the power input of the amp as 24 watts, then powerout/powerin * 100 gives an efficiency of 0.083%

Draw your own conclusions on that one :)

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
A few amps at this size wont make any difference

Use of aluminium etc and shipping of various components around the world is much worse
But still very small in the big picture

One person taking a single flight trip might use the same energy as all of us use in a whole year
One person taking frequent flight trips may in a single year use as much a you use in a lifetime
Or try looking at how much your flat screen TV consume
And how many people have power consuming flat screens

If you look at the amount of components involved, possible recycling etc Im sure you will get a completely different outcome

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hmm.. Mother earth will one day flare up at her children like in the movie 2012... Btw, how many believe in such thingy? it sounds too convincing to me with all the ancient thingy pointing to one common time.

I saw that flick on tuesday...Quite a rockus. Besides, where am I going to come up with a billion euros?

I've finished up and started working on some new projects with my time off lately. My original headamp variation doesn't stay stable, so I tried this, just to get an idea. As much as I listen, I dont think either will cause too much global warming, but glad you fellas are concerned.

Throwing in a question..
I am using this DAC http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/137976-experience-diy-dac-148.html#post1979788connected to my F5,but when i take de signal from the LL1517 i get oschillation,workes fine from the opampoutput.
But The F5 gets realy hot when taking it from the LL1517,it sounds fine thow.
I´ve been trying to lower the bandwith on the F5 with a 10pf or 20pf cap paralell to the input of F5,I runs a little cooler but not enough as without the DAC connected,how big cap can I add without lowering the bandwith to much?Or any other suggestions?