F5 power amplifier

You can use IRF9240P's and IRF240N's instead.
Originally Posted by Nelson Pass
The output MOSFETs are the IRF240 N channel type (Q3) and the IRD9240 P channel type (Q4). They will want to have a voltage rating in excess of 50 volts, a current rating of about 15 to 20 amps, and a dissipation of about 150 watts. Comparable parts are widely available, and here I used Fairchild FQA12P20 and FQA19N20C.

This is indeed what it says under the F5 manuel under "Parts Selection." However figure's 5 & 6 show Q3 to be the P channel, not N. Be sure to follow the Figure.

Is there a preferred power supply configuration between the following two:

CLCRC or CRCLC ?

Or do they yield similar results?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I would suggest downloading PSUD (its free!) and start simulating your power supply. The program has a shallow learning curve, and gave me a better understanding of power supply component interaction.

d

Hi Zen,

If I dont rem wrongly, you actually preferred LC*** as the filter, inductor being the input of the PSU filter. Can I confirm with you this is a safe method as I cant seems to simulate in PSUD2 due to some time step error? If my calculation is right, a 0.5ohm (DC resistance) inductor will consume ~5w (assuming 10A), is this too much for an air core inductor?

Hi Zen,

If I don't remember wrongly, you actually preferred LC*** as the filter, inductor being the input of the PSU filter. Can I confirm with you this is a safe method as I cant seems to simulate in PSUD2 due to some time step error? If my calculation is right, a 0.5ohm (DC resistance) inductor will consume ~5w (assuming 10A), is this too much for an air core inductor?

Hi Zen,

If I don't remember wrongly, you actually preferred LC*** as the filter, inductor being the input of the PSU filter. Can I confirm with you this is a safe method as I cant seems to simulate in PSUD2 due to some time step error? If my calculation is right, a 0.5ohm (DC resistance) inductor will consume ~5w (assuming 10A), is this too much for an air core inductor?

It's fairly easy to get a 2mH inductor below 0R3 (1.9mm magnet wire). A LC filter may not be the right solution, but a CLC filter sure is. I helped a friend making a F5 some time ago, and we used a 20.000uF 2mH 20.000uF filter.

No nasties what so ever survived that treatment :D

But as Zmuck stated above, it's only good for class A operation. We tried pushing it into AB, just to see what happened. That didn't sound good, or look good for that kind of matter.

Magura :)

The 20.000uF figure was not to my liking either, I usually multiply that number by a factor of 10. In this case, it just wasn't up to me.

LC filters just don't seem to be as versatile. CLC is just a run of the mill.

Pick up the usual caps on the shelf, pick up the usual inductors on the shelf, good to go :cool:

LC needs something that fits whatever it's supplying, to work proper, so it takes a new inductor every time :(

Chokes

It's fairly easy to get a 2mH inductor below 0R3 (1.9mm magnet wire). A LC filter may not be the right solution, but a CLC filter sure is. I helped a friend making a F5 some time ago, and we used a 20.000uF 2mH 20.000uF filter.

No nasties what so ever survived that treatment :D

But as Zmuck stated above, it's only good for class A operation. We tried pushing it into AB, just to see what happened. That didn't sound good, or look good for that kind of matter.

Hey Magura,

2 questions:

1. How far away from the amp circuitry did you mount the inductors? I am setting up a similar configuration and currently wrestling with the layout.

2. Do you think the ppor performance when the amp was pushed into AB was because of the inductors or the lowish capacitance or a combination of both?

Thanks,
Steve

Hey Magura,

2 questions:

1. How far away from the amp circuitry did you mount the inductors? I am setting up a similar configuration and currently wrestling with the layout.

2. Do you think the ppor performance when the amp was pushed into AB was because of the inductors or the lowish capacitance or a combination of both?

Thanks,
Steve

1) I usually make the layout like this, starting from the face-plate:

Transformer, rectifiers, first caps, inductors, second caps, a couple of hefty film caps, and on the rear panel, I mount the amp boards.

This way there is usually no issues.

2) The issue diminished, when taking the inductors out of the circuit, so yes. The cap bank size thing, was more like an insider joke, as I usually do the overkill thing in this respect. 2 x 20.000uF is not that little actually.

I bet that the original F5 didn't sport more than 40.000uF per channel (not that I've checked).

chokes

Hey Magura,

You used iron-core or air core chokes? Do you think they were saturating at the higher currents? Or maybe the chokes just didn't like the extra modualtion they were seeing at the higher currents?

When finally get it all together, I think I'll try CLC and then CRC as well and see if hear a difference at highet output.

Thanks again,
Steve

Hey Magura,

You used iron-core or air core chokes? Do you think they were saturating at the higher currents?

I always make air core inductors, so that should answer your second question ;)

Inductors are though only working well, at relatively constant current draw, which you don't have running the amp in AB.

EDIT: Just checked the original schematic. It sports 4 x 15.000uF per rail, as in 60.000uF.

Last edited: