F5 power amplifier

Check amplimo.nl. They offer 300VA, 500VA, 625VA, 800VA toroids with twin 18V secondaries. 500VA should be enough for a F5. Can be bought online @ deaudiofabriek.nl. Success!

Thanks for the suggestion. They do have a large collection, but I checked their prices and they are ridiculous. They have recently increased the prices with some 20% and they are now twice the price of their competitors in Gemany (who also offer good quality). Amplimo seems to be selling well because they have got a good reputation and they want to cash it!

I will look further...

with shottky diodes you'll have somewhat higher voltage , but not much .

just compare voltage sag across plain vs. shottky diodes , and you'll know .

Papa uses plain bridges in his F amps ,at least to my knowledge

Apart from the fact that Schottky diodes have less voltagedrop, did someone compare the influence on the sound of the F5.

Nelson has a very sound no nonsense approach to this and ordinary bridges are wonderfully reliable and cheap, yet the difference in spectral polution of the rails cannot be denied. The question is how much of it is left after the filtering in the PSU. Anyway it would be nice to hear from someone who did a comparison...?

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Apart from the fact that Schottky diodes have less voltagedrop, did someone compare the influence on the sound of the F5.

Nelson has a very sound no nonsense approach to this and ordinary bridges are wonderfully reliable and cheap, yet the difference in spectral polution of the rails cannot be denied. The question is how much of it is left after the filtering in the PSU. Anyway it would be nice to hear from someone who did a comparison...?

using shottky can't do any harm ;
fact is that Papa is using them in Pass Labs products , even if earlier he said he didn't found them better sounding .

so - that leave choice to you .... :spin:

naah ..... that was just a tease to my fave Dutchie - Jaccovitty .

I resume that I have even more problems than having Dutch girl for woman - I have Serb one ...... :clown:

They won't be more fussy on spending money, but once they get angry, they will more readily switch from class A to class B, I guess... ;)

Some would call that tempera-mental, but that also has its advantages, I guess ;)

how much cost additional center potting

What's the upcharge for a potted toroid?

The additional cost for potting is 20 hard earned dutch euro's butt in exchange for that you get this:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I think i can justify the extra cost to my girlfriend if she sees this.

500 pages!

There's an orphan F5 kit of parts on its way to the Netherlands -- the original was delayed for 2+ months and just arrived. If anyone in Holland is interested, I guess it could be trans-shipped without incurring egregious duties. Contact me off line. Sometimes stuff gets to Australia in 2 days, or takes 2 months via USPS Priority Mail to Germany, go figure.