F5 power amplifier

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Diomedian said:

quote:
Originally posted by samsagaz
what about BER131-ND? are cheap

BER131-ND are made of "Q-Pad 3" material, which is electrically conductive. This may be fine in some cases though - it certainly has good thermal ratings.

-j

These seem to be similar for only $US 0.25 each

Mouser Part #: 567-175-6-230P
Manufacturer Part #: 175-6-230P
Manufacturer: Wakefield
Description: Heatsink Accessories TO-220 .006" KAPTON

Plus they're TO220 - you would need something a little bigger I think for Q3/4.

Mouser do have this one:

link

I think its the same size. TO247 is meant to be 16mm x 21mm (0.625"x0.875") and this pad is apparently 0.6" x 1".

I'm not sure if the holes will all line up correctly. I'll be placing an order with mouser and might buy a few just to see. Probably worth it at only 0.06c each.

Could someone have a look at this and confirm what I'm seeing?

Fran

to protect against electric noise/interference you must (completely) surround the circuit with a conductive cage/box. It does not have to be metal.
Wood is a fairly good insulator, so can't give any help.

To protect against magnetic fields you need something quite different. I don't know enough to give advice.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: mica

sekess said:
Hey Tea-Bag,

I'm not 100% sure, but it looks like Keystone's 4661 would do it. It's made for a TO-3 package. But, I think the TO-247 will fit. You will have to cut is some though.

Steve

I have some of those, and the Berq band-aid looking pads.
The 4661 has a hole where the FET where some goop may get through, not sure if it may make contact with the sink and short.

The Mica's I've used on To-220 projects I like working with better than the silicon pads. I think having goop keeps the pad from moving around.

AndrewT said:
to protect against electric noise/interference you must (completely) surround the circuit with a conductive cage/box. It does not have to be metal.
Wood is a fairly good insulator, so can't give any help.

To protect against magnetic fields you need something quite different. I don't know enough to give advice.

I realize that a traditional metal amplifier looks cool.

However, I'm trying to save a ton of metal work. Maybe make a nice cube-shaped walnut wood box with heatsinks on the sides. I just don't want to get it all together and have an oscillation problem.