F5 power amplifier

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
woodturner-fran said:

Anyone any ideas?

If I just order more of Q1 and Q2... would Q5 and Q6 be affected by my mistake?

Fran

if nothing else - go to Papa's site ( Pass Diy ) and download few pdfs ...

I mean that in "discrete OP for DIY " ( or something like that ) file you can find how to test jfets and mosfets .

use your imagination , and learn something ...... ;)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
rhysh said:

Can do, but over twice the price. Would need atleast 30v caps as using 25v rails.

twice the price - but quality

25V rails ?

what xformer you're using ?
if 2x18Vac , then you'll end with something as 22V on output .

(tip : look at pics at 6moon - which voltage Papa is using ........ then look for surge voltage for Pana caps )

2x18v xformer yes. I thought 25v caps would be pushing it, if the rails were 22v.

Would you reccomend scrapping the cheap caps and getting some panasonics, as i have allready bought a set of 8 from ebay, would it be worth buying a whole new set?

Zen Mod said:

twice the price - but quality

25V rails ?

what xformer you're using ?
if 2x18Vac , then you'll end with something as 22V on output .

(tip : look at pics at 6moon - which voltage Papa is using ........ then look for surge voltage for Pana caps )

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
rhysh said:
2x18v xformer yes. I thought 25v caps would be pushing it, if the rails were 22v.

Would you reccomend scrapping the cheap caps and getting some panasonics, as i have allready bought a set of 8 from ebay, would it be worth buying a whole new set?

if you already bought them ...... now invest in pair of nice motor-run caps ... 50 to 80uF , and place them as two final caps ......

sort of real man's bypass ;)

ibay caps

These are the caps I will try, RIFA PEH536, 18,000uF, 35V, 4/$9.99

970c_2.JPG

18Vac is likely to give >27Vdc in worst case conditions, i.e. 6% overvoltage, 5% regulation on little or no load.

I have 15+15Vac running loaded at the moment and it gives +-22.1Vdc feeding 25Vdc caps and rises to 22.4Vdc off load.

I wouldn't dream of using 18Vac on 25Vdc caps.

You can use upto 22Vac on 35Vdc caps.

AndrewT said:
18Vac is likely to give >27Vdc in worst case conditions, i.e. 6% overvoltage, 5% regulation on little or no load.

I have 15+15Vac running loaded at the moment and it gives +-22.1Vdc feeding 25Vdc caps and rises to 22.4Vdc off load.

Glad i bought the 35v model in this case :D

> you say you should change other things..can you show us redesigned f5 amp for 2sk1530/j201 ?

I can tell you off what I am using for my balanced version, but no guarantee for single ended :

Rail +/- 16V, 2A bias per MosFET
Source resistor 0R22
Gate resistor 100R
No thermistors, no current limiter (build at own risk !!!!)

Choose JFETs with Idss around 6.5mA.
For the 2SJ74 ONLY, change source resistor from 10R to 13R, and feedback resistor from 50R to 65R.

Patrick

Disclaimer :
Build at your own risk !!

Re: Bridging Power

dcbingaman said:
about 2.5A

Each side of a bridged F5 pair biased at 2.5A means an idle dissipation of 57W for each output device (24V rails minus the voltage drop across 0.47 Ohm, times 2.5A)
You'll slow-fry both the output devices AND the 0.47 Ohm/3W resistors (0.47*2.5*2.5= ~3W )
Only way to safely up the bias on a bridged F5 is more output devices in parallel.
Easiest is just placing two F5's in parallel, the joy of the steep input impedance of JFETs and the ease with which they allow to be put in parallel. (in particular with degeneration)

200W in 4 Ohm is +7 Amps output current, just the drop of 3.3V across a 0.47 Ohm resistor will make the spec impossible to reach by bridging just a single pair of F5's. (same story with the 120W/8 talk)

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
AndrewT said:

I'm used to use anything between 20x10mF/35V up to 10x68mF/63V for amps with similar current consumption .
but - 'm also used to see 25V caps in much worse conditions than in Papamp .

350VA xformer , with filter in CRC will not give you more than 22V5dc ;

that's - including 10% overvoltage in mains , still bellow safe margin for these caps .

for me - that's not issue , but - if someone is on tight budget - its better to spend few greens on quality and capacity , than on voltage

2_9.jpg

:rofl: that off course not means that Papa is on tight budget .......... he simply have enough miles under the .... pants ........ so he knows what's practical

Zen Mod said:
I'm used to use anything between 20x10mF/35V up to 10x68mF/63V for amps with similar current consumption .
but - 'm also used to see 25V caps in much worse conditions than in Papamp .

350VA xformer , with filter in CRC will not give you more than 22V5dc ;

that's - including 10% overvoltage in mains , still bellow safe margin for these caps .

for me - that's not issue , but - if someone is on tight budget - its better to spend few greens on quality and capacity , than on voltage
long post to tell us nothing.
What transformer Vac are you recommending for 25Vdc, 35Vdc or 63Vdc smoothing caps?

EUVL said:
Choose JFETs with Idss around 6.5mA.
For the 2SJ74 ONLY, change source resistor from 10R to 13R, and feedback resistor from 50R to 65R.
[/B]

The following paragraphs are a question, rather than a statement. :)

When using the Fairchild parts, the transconductance of the the P-channel parts is higher - so in the upper half of the circuit, you've got a lower S jfet and a higher S mosfet, and the lower half of the circuit you get a higher S jfet feeding a lower S mosfet, and these two combinations (partially?) cancel each other out.

Now when you're using the Toshiba mosfets, based on the fact that they're so well matched for transconductance, and that the jfets still aren't, you need to reduce the current output of the P-channel jfet (2sj74) and this is why you've increased source and feedback resistors.

Is this in the right ball park?

Thanks for the tips Patrick - I may end up going Fairchild unless I manage a bit better understanding here.

-j