F5 power amplifier

The raw parts are fairly easy to find in the USA. He supplies 10K for for R21-22. I thought I read somewhere that those were changed to 22K ?

I was sort of hoping for the PC board for the output stage and heat sinks/ case so it doesn't look like an early beta version when it's through.

firing up but fuse blowing

please help a newbie... I have made one up with p to p using the Juma's lay out. I have reduced the P1 and P2 value to minimum ( they are 1-5 ohm now) as stated in the Nelson's article and used variac to slowly move up the AC. The fuse blows up before rail voltage reaches 2V.. If I disconnect +- 24 and ground from main board, rail voltage reaches 26V no problem... It appears to me that if P1 and P1 is minimum value all the voltage is applied across JFET. Is this O.K.? What am i doing wrong? I'm using psu board from peter daniel and it seems psu is o.k...

Thanks!

Re: firing up but fuse blowing

umut1001 said:

we can make single sided pcb ourselves..a double sided board will be better for group buy if Nelson permits....and we need fairchild output transistors..i am agree for group buy

:smash: Haha. Are you guys serious? The number of layers is quite irrelevant - you can make the most absolute horrible layout using double layer if you want to. I have used a single layer because no more is needed for this application (when I do phono stages and digital circuits I usually make a ground plane as well). If I had to get the boards manufactured, I might throw in another layer to reduce board size, but then the old farts in here might have troubles stuffing the boards. ;)

rdk845 said:
please help a newbie... I have made one up with p to p using the Juma's lay out. I have reduced the P1 and P2 value to minimum ( they are 1-5 ohm now) as stated in the Nelson's article and used variac to slowly move up the AC. The fuse blows up before rail voltage reaches 2V.. If I disconnect +- 24 and ground from main board, rail voltage reaches 26V no problem... It appears to me that if P1 and P1 is minimum value all the voltage is applied across JFET. Is this O.K.? What am i doing wrong? I'm using psu board from peter daniel and it seems psu is o.k...

Thanks!

Sounds like you have a short or have connected your power fets wrongly (if connected wrong, they are just power diodes). Try monitoring the voltage across the source power resistors (r11 and r12) when you turn up the voltage slowly. Otherwise post some detailed pictures and people in here might be able to help you.