F5 power amplifier

moe29 said:

---------------

Everyone wants to know how it sounds... How does it sound???

build the effing thing! this is DIY!!

I'd say there's enough of a track record here to go out on a limb and take the chance. :smash:

Seems like we have two camps here at DIYA.
Camp 1 says; this is DIY so go do it yourself, if you want to know. Its easy! I guess we could just as well shut down this forum then;)
Camp 2 says; ask your questions, someone will probably answer;) In that case, dont shut down the forum.
I tend to like camp 2 the best;)
I am not sure if I dare to post anything about how the F5 sounds:clown:

:)

vdi_nenna said:

Back off Moe! :rolleyes:

I'm sorry...if you want to post a design and not give any explaination as to it's purpose or sound, I think that's weak.
DIY is no excuse for an answer.

DIY is itself not subjective. It's merely"DO IT YOURSELF" !

jacco vermeulen said:
Well, SOB me.

After assembling NP designs for +20 i definitely think it's due time for a Pass-the-DIY boxer shorts.
Summer's approaching and i've got nottin to wear.

I bet Nelson could design underwear if He was so inclined. But the last time I was in Amsterdam no one wore it. Useless impediment.

steenoe said:

Seems like we have two camps here at DIYA.
Camp 1 says; this is DIY so go do it yourself, if you want to know. Its easy! I guess we could just as well shut down this forum then;)
Camp 2 says; ask your questions, someone will probably answer;) In that case, dont shut down the forum.

I see both points of view and more besides. I attempt to bridge between those two viewpoints (and the others), sometimes more successfully than others. The days when I fail are often days when I've had less than my allotted four to six hours of sleep or days when someone simply needs a kick in the pants to get them over the fear of trying something new (e.g. making their own circuit boards).

Grey

We get to learn a lot of usefull stuff in this thread, like they dont use underwear in Amsterdam:D Who would have thought that? That piece of information might come in handy some day.
Vix, I will PM you with my thoughts about the sound of the F5. Just need a little more time to reflect on the whole thing:dodgy: I have to find out myself, remember? This is DIY:clown:

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
vdi_nenna said:
Sometimes we just want someone's impression first. I'm not building it just because someone says the square wave looks good on a scope.
I'm sorry...if you want to post a design and not give any explaination as to it's purpose or sound, I think that's weak.

Oh my...
Who build someone else's first sound?

Somebody asks, "how it sounds?"
Answer, "Very good".
"Yea...?"

Mmm... I don't know this guy...

Ha ha ha...

Going to bed...
Need some sleep. I want to win golf tomorrow...

Papa looks ok...

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
steenoe said:
We get to learn a lot of usefull stuff in this thread, like they dont use underwear in Amsterdam:D Who would have thought that? That piece of information might come in handy some day.
Vix, I will PM you with my thoughts about the sound of the F5. Just need a little more time to reflect on the whole thing:dodgy: I have to find out myself, remember? This is DIY:clown:

you can PM me too ;) , so we can compare what you think about F5 and what I think about little "Oly's symmetric amp" from beginnings of Bab thread .......

GRollins said:

I see both points of view and more besides. I attempt to bridge between those two viewpoints (and the others), sometimes more successfully than others. The days when I fail are often days when I've had less than my allotted four to six hours of sleep or days when someone simply needs a kick in the pants to get them over the fear of trying something new (e.g. making their own circuit boards).

Grey

You figured that I counted you in for camp 1. And correctly so. This is not supposed to turn into any kind of personal issue at all, at least that was not the intention! I think we are better off, stopping this discussion as soon as possible. I just feel like adding one more comment; This forum is open to everyone, that fact includes people that doesnt know what a resistor is! The questions will come, no matter how obvious the answer is. There are too many members here, putting down people asking a simple question. Basically what I mean is, you cant answer a newb with: "Did you read the datasheet"
I see that happen a lot. The poor chap doesnt even know the excistance of such a thing as a Datasheet. I could easily name you a few members that needs a kick in the #### on that account! But I wont. What that kind of members want to demonstrate, I am not sure! Maybe they just want to tell us how much they know? At least I find that less than useful, in any sense I can think of.
I do agree that a lot of members need a kick , to get started though...

Re: Re: F5 is great poweramp

I'm sorry I made a mistake about the change point.
I made a one more change;

4. Q1 and Q2 are changed to 2SK246/2SJ103.
(because I can get 2SK246/2SJ103 easier)

zeonrider said:
narinari2106, do you have some pic. of amp.?

Regards zeoN_Rider

Hi zeoN_Rider,
I have no pic right now, so I will take some photo.
Maybe tomorrow...

Babowana said:

Glad to hear that...
I have thought I'm only one feeling so...
I already said that I would not give up both F4 and (F5)...
Yeah, sure I am... :)

Hi Babowana,
I think you should make F5 because F5 is easy to swap ZV5.
That's why decide to make F5.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Well put Steenoe,

I've learned a lot lurking around here and successfully built the ZV9, a pair of F4's, a Aleph p and a few other bits and pieces. I don't fully understand the workings of every aspect of these and other projects posted here and I'm hesitant to ask questions fearing the response. It seems though an overwhelming amount of members are helpful and respectful.

Rick

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Re: Re: Re: F5 is great poweramp

narinari2106 said:
I think you should make F5 because F5 is easy to swap ZV5.

Yes, I have very similar one, ZV5 with JFET inputs.
I have used 2SK170/2SJ74 and IRFP240(Samsung)/IRFP9240(Fairchild).
That's the reason why I have marked it as "(F5)".

The only small difference between (F5) and F5 is in the NF.

I have a plan to remove "()" ;)
And, I am interested in the components you have used.