F5 power amplifier

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Why?

This could be the coolest amp ever! :cool:

If it's push-pull, how does it comapre to the single-ended stuff?
Aside from some pretty nice specs, how does the F5 sound? Not many can comment on this right now, but can anyone explain why this PP is worth building besides the simplicity, higher power and gained effeciency? That might be enough for some, but the Zen series had a philosphy. Is this some new break-thru in PP technology?

I've heard some nice PP amps, but none of it compared to the SE amps I've heard.

Please comment,

Vince

Joined 2000
Paid Member
Yep: fewer stages plus mild feedback AND low distortion.

My man Jacco!

That's what I mean...why is the F5 all of a sudden special? All known stuff with a twist!

Nelson has this ability to take known "techniques" or topologies and make You look at them in a completely different way. There's an open-mindedness and genius about that. Making something simple seem hard and visa-versa.

You should try Armani underwear.

2-stage push-pull is not new, Profet currently the most familiar, the split feedback can be seen in a few Japanese schematics.
First time i see something like this with vertical power mosfets though, but i'm holding my breath for a balanced x-ed version.
(must be my peanut brain)

He is an excellent salesman and excellent in promoting, and that counts.

...if anything, i would say Pass Labs is one of the lowest key advertisers i've ever seen!

1/2 page black and white adds in Stereophile with no add copy.

I'd say Mr. Pass lets the quality of his gear do the talkin'!

---------------

Everyone wants to know how it sounds... How does it sound???

build the effing thing! this is DIY!!

I'd say there's enough of a track record here to go out on a limb and take the chance. :smash:

Joined 2000
Paid Member
build the effing thing! this is DIY!!

Back off Moe! :rolleyes:

Not everyone wants to build everything that comes down the pike like bunch of sheep, know what I mean? Sometimes we just want someone's impression first. I'm not building it just because someone says the square wave looks good on a scope.
I'm sorry...if you want to post a design and not give any explaination as to it's purpose or sound, I think that's weak.
DIY is no excuse for an answer.

This amp is something different. If I needed a PP amp, I'll build an A40 or A75.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
vdi_nenna said:
Not everyone wants to build everything that comes down the pike like bunch of sheep, know what I mean? Sometimes we just want someone's impression first. I'm not building it just because someone says the square wave looks good on a scope.
I'm sorry...if you want to post a design and not give any explaination as to it's purpose or sound, I think that's weak.
DIY is no excuse for an answer.

Those who actually read the article know:

"It sounds good"

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
You want the dog-with-marshmallow jammies...

Attachments

• jacks.jpg
    jacks.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 3,317