F5 power amplifier

Dennis Hui said:

I wasn't too thrilled with the ordering page either.
However, the lure of the F5 was too great, so I
went ahead.

I had ordered late at night and I received a
confirmation the following day via email.

Cheers,
Dennis

The TAA Audioxpress organization is very small and has always relied on simplicity. the original mag was printed on what appeared to be cheap paper run through a photo copier. Still it was great! If they say they got your subscription you will get the mag. They just dont move to quickly. Go to Peterborough , NH sometime --you'll see why!

sandstorm33 said:

The TAA Audioxpress organization is very small and has always relied on simplicity. the original mag was printed on what appeared to be cheap paper run through a photo copier. Still it was great! If they say they got your subscription you will get the mag. They just dont move to quickly. Go to Peterborough , NH sometime --you'll see why!

Now that just isn't true -- it wasn't slick like "Audio" or "Radio and Electronics" or the ham radio magazines like QST, CQ or Ham Radio, but it certainly wasn't produced on a mimeograph or Xerox either -- I have every issue going back to 1970 -- and you would be surprised by the folks who contributed "in their youth" -- and are on DIYAUDIO.

Peterborough NH was pretty famous for some very fine magazines "in the day".

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

jackinnj said:

Now that just isn't true -- it wasn't slick like "Audio" or "Radio and Electronics" or the ham radio magazines like QST, CQ or Ham Radio, but it certainly wasn't produced on a mimeograph or Xerox either -- I have every issue going back to 1970 -- and you would be surprised by the folks who contributed "in their youth" -- and are on DIYAUDIO.

Peterborough NH was pretty famous for some very fine magazines "in the day".

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

You misread my intention..The Mag was great and Peterborough was a Publishers Colony...Content was most important and the contributors were (and are) the creme dela creme.. Odd you chose the Twin Twenty issue... mine is still in use in Rhode Island.

Nelson Pass said:

The charm of the buffer will perhaps not be appreciated without the
text commentary that comes with it. A little patience will be
required.

Nelson, thanks for posting the F5 schematic. It was a surprise. Sure, it's much more fun to read the article, but even a schematic is highly appreciated. Now that we have F5 here being the main topic, it's worth waiting for the buffer...( As you once said,it's better to concentrate on one thing at a time)...

Best Regards,

Vix

Balaced alternative

Conceptually, this should work, even if there is no balanced source (pre) available.
"Current Feedback" to the sources of J-Fets, as the F5. Don't know if it would count as X-ed in this case.

Anyone to comment?

Deriving the "voltage feedback" solution (as per susy patent, to the gates) will be trivial for you a-Pass-ionados.

Ciao, Tino

Attachments

• f5 balanced.gif
    f5 balanced.gif
    20 KB · Views: 7,311
Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
Re: Balaced alternative

zinsula said:
Anyone to comment?

The cross line does not exchange any signal voltage between the
left and the right. The reason is that the cross line is an potetial
zero point which is always the centre of vertically symmery in any
case with respect to the electrical potential. Just a thinking . . .

Attachments

• 0v.jpg
    0v.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 5,666
Think current!

Babowana said:
The cross line does not exchange any signal voltage between the
left and the right. The reason is that the cross line is an potetial
zero point which is always the centre of vertically symmery in any
case with respect to the electrical potential. Just a thinking . . .
Not exactly.... voltage will sit at zero if the Idss of all JFETs is equal, otherwise it will be anywhere close zero. So far, you are right.

But this isn't important to the function.

Important is the current which flows from one half to the other wîth the signal. This current will change the voltage over R7/8/13/14.
In the F5, this current flows to ground, and here it flows to the other half of the circuit.

It is a diff pair....you have to connect the sources/emitters ;)

Tino

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Balaced alternative

zinsula said:
Conceptually, this should work, even if there is no balanced source (pre) available.
"Current Feedback" to the sources of J-Fets, as the F5. Don't know if it would count as X-ed in this case.

Anyone to comment?

Deriving the "voltage feedback" solution (as per susy patent, to the gates) will be trivial for you a-Pass-ionados.

Ciao, Tino

With some value adjustments, this will presumably work, but it is
not an X topology.

F5 & PCB group buy

Mr Pass. Sorry to read you hurt yourself in weightlifting x serie. Hope you're recovering well. Thanks for the new F amp, neat design in it simplicity. Single question will FirstWatt build it or will there the opportunity for a PCB group buy ? Regards

Balanced Amp

Here is a design that I have worked over a year ago, the main difference between this and a balanced F5 is the input mosfets and the biasing circuitry.

I have tried JFETs in the simulation but i can not seem to get the same gain as a mosfet (so higher distortion) and the source impedance is not as low (so lower bandwidth). But then I didn't try the 2SK370 and 2SJ108.

Cheers

Tim

Attachments

• hyperbalanced amp.png
    hyperbalanced amp.png
    71.3 KB · Views: 6,570
I was thinking it might be economical to build the PS into a seperate enclosure and tap off of it Naim Style for the various Fx amplifiers.

What do you guys think? Is a possible, relevant, and viable option? More interested in the last 2 options as most things are possible.

C

p.s. I didn't take any traffos. Old Threshold knobs though, and awesome heatsinks!