F5 power amplifier

I’m having issues getting equal bias while achieving 0 offset. I can get R11 to .56v and R 12 to .61v and achieve 0 mV offset. But then if I adjust the trimmer so that R11 = R12 at .61v then Dc offset is around 50mV.

When I put the amp together I could have swore the resistors had equal value within .01 ohm. Any advice. Is it better to have r11 and r12 equal at .61v and have the 50 mV dc offset? Or better to have different bias on R11 and r12 and O mV offset?

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
50mV offset is really good.

To answer your question, it’s better to have zero (really low...) offset and slightly dissimilar bias than equal bias. This has to do with the Vgs differences between the N and the P channel Mosfets, which is normal and expected. Offset and bias are adjusted by the potentiometers, but much more then the resistors are at play - the Idss of the Jfets, the Vgs of the Mosfets, the absolute values of the source resistors, and the variations in temp coefficient of the bias thermistors.

Also, you’ll never get the offset totally zeroed and stable, tempature changes by local air currents will make things move around a bit. Next time you adjust it, blow on the jfets and watch the offset. :)

Last edited:
I have a variac that I’ve been using to go from 24v to 20v. I honestly can’t hear a difference but it does get it down to 55 ish on the sinks. I also have a fan that I really can’t hear that zaps the heat off the sinks totally. Just reluctant to install fans. May install it not sure yet.

Where are people buying these big heats sinks?

Thanks Mr Pass. I currently have the IRF chips running. Seems I read somewhere that there was an issue with the IRF p channel mosfet and that you preferred the Fairchilds that are NLA(don’t want to misquote you so that’s why I say “seems”). Would it make any difference in sound, something one could hear? Thanks for making these designs available.