F5 power amplifier - Page 765 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th April 2010, 04:09 AM   #7641
jackies is offline jackies  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingman65 View Post
Been reading this loooong thread, only to page 564 Is there a consensus for heat sinks here in the US? Those seem to be the hardest parts to source at reasonable expense.

I read this thread in it's entirety several times back and forth. Trying to make shure no single bit of useful info slipped away...
As for heatsinks, barredboss on ebay has some good ones, he also now has a store:
HeatsinkUSA, llc
Old 4th April 2010, 04:27 AM   #7642
flg is offline flg  United States
diyAudio Member

Yep
Like Jackies says
Old 4th April 2010, 04:41 AM   #7643
diyAudio Member

Thanks Jackies, reading this thread and all the links is paramount to an education in electronics. It's been 25 years for me so a lot of cobwebs getting cleared out

Tony
Old 4th April 2010, 05:40 AM   #7644
stroob is offline stroob  United States
diyAudio Member

Looking for some suggestions. Finished my F5 build and it looked to come up without any issue and played music and the sound was pleasing. I used 1ohm resistors for r11/r12 and set the bias current to 900mA. The barred boss heatsinks were warm, but not anywhere close to being a concern. The setup is dual mono and the two 250VA transformers were extremely hot. Blistering hot. What would you check?

Stroob
Old 4th April 2010, 07:20 AM   #7645
RKH is offline RKH  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Hot transformers

Just a thought... no guarantees. If there is any DC offset (even a few millivolts) on your mains, you could be saturating the core of your toroidal transformer. There is a little circuit to prevent that DC from getting though:

2 diodes + 2 diodes (opposite polarity, in parallel) and a lot of capacitance across both (observing diode polarity). Essentially, the diodes prevent DC from getting into your transformer core and saturating it.

Hope that helps.

Ryan
Old 4th April 2010, 07:55 AM   #7646
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKH View Post
Essentially, the diodes prevent DC from getting into your transformer core and saturating it.

No. The capacitors stop dc.
Old 4th April 2010, 07:56 AM   #7647
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

I had some puny 180VA units and when running at stock bias, they would get very toasty to the touch.

Now on 440VA units (one/channel) and it's all cool as a cucumber.
Old 4th April 2010, 09:35 AM   #7648
jazz is offline jazz  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

@ Renron,

Ok sorry, I stand corrected. I only remember the first version of arctic silver and believe to remember that that version was/could be conductive. Maybe bad memory, maybe things have changed.

regards,
Joris
Old 4th April 2010, 11:14 AM   #7649
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Question artic silver or not?

I have this silvery looking heatsink compound.
How can I test it to ensure it is either conductive or non-conductive during all operational conditions?
Old 4th April 2010, 11:29 AM   #7650
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Ways and means.
Put a blob of the stuff on the plastic front of an old power transistor, then connect to PSU and use a pot on the base to vary bias (heat). Hold a scope probe or DVM to one side of the blob and connect hold a voltage source to the other and see what passes through.
If you want to be really sure and do detailed measurements, first epoxy a couple of wires to the transistor to make pads with which to bridge with the compound.

Were you snowed in ?

Hide this!Advertise here!