F5 power amplifier - Page 729 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th March 2010, 08:10 PM   #7281
diyAudio Member

Hello,

sorry if it has been covered before but I've read about half of this thread and this took me two weeks worth of my spare time

I wonder if any of the semiconductors in standard F5 have to be matched? I think there's no need to match output devices cause I can adjust their bias with P1-P2.
How about input jfets?
Can I substitute transistors from protection circuit(Q5-Q6) with something more available like BC550-560? If not what makes zetex devices so special for our application?

looking forward for your help/explanation,

thanks
Michał
Old 8th March 2010, 08:29 PM   #7282
tinitus is offline tinitus  Europe
diyAudio Moderator R.I.P.

BC...
Yes, but reversed
Cvillers guide would be good to read
http://viller.eu/audio/2009jan_gbf5/gbf5_guide.pdf

Yes, I think its best to use mayched Jfets, to make easier dc adjustment
Old 8th March 2010, 08:34 PM   #7283
cviller is offline cviller  Denmark
diyAudio Member

You don't need to match the jfets, but I seem to remember to have read somewhere that jackinnj made some tests where he got better thd with matched jfets.
Old 8th March 2010, 08:43 PM   #7284
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviller View Post
You don't need to match the jfets, but I seem to remember to have read somewhere that jackinnj made some tests where he got better thd with matched jfets.
Thank you for your fast replies. I think I'm gonna make first version with cheapo components and then, if I like the overal sound put some more money into fancier, matched devices/resistors.

One more thing: In your guide, Cviller, there's written in the PSU section:
"1-2 thermistors for soft starting the toroid"
If I'm not plannig to use any thermistors at all should I use slo-blo fuse or just bigger one?
Old 8th March 2010, 08:48 PM   #7285
cviller is offline cviller  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinowski View Post
One more thing: In your guide, Cviller, there's written in the PSU section:
"1-2 thermistors for soft starting the toroid"
If I'm not plannig to use any thermistors at all should I use slo-blo fuse or just bigger one?
It depends on the toroid you use. Way back, I tried without soft start thermistors running at 230V and the 4A slow blow fuses literally exploded.
Old 9th March 2010, 03:03 AM   #7286
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cviller View Post
I think the results were only a gnat's hair better -- and there was certainly no rigorous scientific method involved. You can use a BL as one JFET and a GR on the other and the amplifier will still work.

The Zetex's can be substituted, but be mindful of orientation (which Cviller has attended to.)

The output devices are of their own mind and don't have to be matched.

If you're building the amp just to measure THD% the 10K/22K resistors on the limiter can be swapped around, the source resistors on the JFETs, etc.

The most important factors to consider are an adequate heat sink and patience in setting up the bias and offset voltages.
Old 9th March 2010, 03:49 AM   #7287
The one and only

I think that accurately covers the subject.

Old 9th March 2010, 03:52 AM   #7288
Blues is offline Blues  United States
Lightning In A Bottle
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
I think the results were only a gnat's hair better -- ...
Thanks!
Old 9th March 2010, 09:51 AM   #7289
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I think the results were only a gnat's hair better -- and there was certainly no rigorous scientific method involved. You can use a BL as one JFET and a GR on the other and the amplifier will still work.

The Zetex's can be substituted, but be mindful of orientation (which Cviller has attended to.)

The output devices are of their own mind and don't have to be matched.

If you're building the amp just to measure THD% the 10K/22K resistors on the limiter can be swapped around, the source resistors on the JFETs, etc.

The most important factors to consider are an adequate heat sink and patience in setting up the bias and offset voltages.
thank you for detailed explenation. I can start my iron now, can't wait to listen to it.

M.
Old 9th March 2010, 04:25 PM   #7290
Renron is offline Renron  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Amen to that brother Jack!

Question for the masses:

Do anyone else's heatsinks just barely get warm?
I haven't scanned them with the laser temp gun, but when I put my hand on them after hours of playing they are barely warm. Is this nOrmaL?
R11 / R12 .59V with DC offset at ~+/- .05V that fluctuates a little as it warms up.

Silent as a snowflake.

Ron

Hide this!Advertise here!