F5 power amplifier

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Stupid questions coming up:

The only stupid questions are those not asked... :)

I´m building the f5 now, and decided to just don't bother with the current limiting. I should just remove the parts from the schematic then? Q5, Q6 and R17-22?

R21 and R22 are part of the thermistor/bias circuit, leave them in.
If you want to remove the limiter, just pull Q5 and Q6.

I´m also changing r5, r6, r7 and r8 to 220ohms for some extra gain.

Yes, that works fine. :)

are you hearing difference (in F5) when using PRP or Dale , vs. "regular" 600mW metal-films ?

No, I buy PRPs from the USA, because, like many DIYers, I consider the extra expense worth it for the peace of mind it brings, so I have no basis for comparison.

I dare say the point you are making is that using fancy resistors amounts to snake oil, and you may well be right. I can't say for sure. With so few parts, and the cost all being in the case and toroidal, spending a few extra bucks for the F5 resistors does seem worth it. For me, this is amp heaven, and the end of amp building I hope! :eek:

No, I buy PRPs from the USA, because, like many DIYers, I consider the extra expense worth it for the peace of mind it brings, so I have no basis for comparison.

I dare say the point you are making is that using fancy resistors amounts to snake oil, and you may well be right. I can't say for sure. With so few parts, and the cost all being in the case and toroidal, spending a few extra bucks for the F5 resistors does seem worth it. For me, this is amp heaven, and the end of amp building I hope! :eek:

oh boy...

That's what we all say. :D I'm on my 7th and working on 8th and 9th.

This may be asking too much, but it would be interesting to hear about your path, with a short description of why you have gone through that sequence. I'm aware sometimes we build things just out of curiosity, but if there were tangible/logical steps in your build history it would be useful and informative for those of us just now dipping our toes into the discrete world.

Joined 2000
Paid Member
This may be asking too much...

It's easy. It's like anything else of interest that's technical. Trying to milk as much performance out of a system as possible.

Here's my progression in order.

Zen 1 (5 builds before getting it to work. ;))
Aleph Mini
Gain Clone
F5 standard with dual-mono power supplies
F5 no protection, Caddock resistors, hi-speed rectifiers, dual cap banks.
Zen 9
SIT L'amp CCS "naked" Vishay in signal path.
SIT L'amp 193v choke (building)
F6 (building soon!)

Is it a perfect progression? Probably not. I thought I would stop at the SIT CSS.
Is one better than another, at certain levels, yes. However, at other levels (Zen 9 through F6) it's becoming a matter of taste. There is a quality to the SIT that just has to be heard to understand. I can't describe it well, but it's like sounds hitting the air are complete- not too much, not too little.

Well, that's why I do it. To grab that realisim. With SITs and JFets, I/we gotten closer to that realism, in my opinion.

Also, up til the Zen 9, it was a build-up in difficulty for me. Now, seems build difficulty is regressing. I could probably build the F6 in a weekend, if I had all the parts in from of me.
I learned a lot from those 4 failed attempts. #1 Don't rush it. #2 take your time. ;) You'll get there.

You have to start somewhere. Read description of the sound, see if it appeals to you, then just find one to build and start there! Don't wait for the next one, because there will always be a next one. ;)

Two years ago I didn't know the difference between a moving coil and moving magnet cartridge.
3 months ago I build my first turntable. Just keeps moving forward!

Last edited:
That's great. I'm also of the belief "The Best" amp doesn't exist because there are just too many variables. The SIT amps are new to me so I've got a new set of threads to read. I may be mistaken, but I don't see anything I would (don't know much) see in the Burning Amp category. If that's correct, is there a reason?

Thanks so much for your reply.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
I may be mistaken, but I don't see anything I would (don't know much) see in the Burning Amp category. If that's correct, is there a reason?

That's a clunky sentence, so please forgive me if I don't interpret it correctly... :eek::eek::eek:

The Burning Amps have quite a bit of flexibility, and that seems to confuse people -

Essentally you have 2 driver circuits and 2 output circuits. Choose one of each and make an amp:

The BA-2 driver is a differential pair and uses feedback.
The BA-3 driver is complimentary and is zero feedback.

The BA-Single Ended output stage is single-endd with a CCS.
The BA-complimentary output is push-pull, and source follower, so very low distortion without feedback

The other thing that makes them so mysterious is you can use as many output fets as you have heatsink for, and use a range of PSU voltages.
```
You could heavily paraphrase and say that a BA-2 with SE output is kinda like an Aleph, except that it doesn't have the Aleph CCS...

And you could also say that the BA-3 driver is similar to the F5...

The BA-complimentary output stage is, actually, very similar to an F4.

```

The sheer flexibility of the BA- topologies is fascinating and very intriguing.

The best way to understand is to read the BA-3 article, then go back and read the -1 and -2 articles.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/diyaudio-com-articles/194809-burning-amplifier-ba-3-a.html

The more I play in Papa's sandbox the more I realize that the BA- series might be the most amazing of them all.

"Clunky" ??? :mad: - sorry but I always skipped English class so I could play in the orchestra. :D

I have read all those docs but as you say, I was left with a bit of mystery. Your message helps a lot. I have a set of boards to build a BA-2 SE (I think :confused:) so I'll soon be wandering through - with your and others help of course. I'll re-read again before I start.

If you have a driver board for the output board set, then build a Pass-standard PSU and have at it.

Your liquid-cooled adventures are very suited to the Burning Amps... :)

Here's my stash. May need some fill-ins once I determine my direction.

I've been moving in small increments, but cooling a BA has been my target all along. Should have some good info and pics to post in a day or two.

Attachments

• 20130614_185541.jpg
    20130614_185541.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 332