F5 power amplifier

For a bit more clarification, the chassis and the main transformer are the highest cost drivers - correct? My Mouser order for two channels (full BOM) was only $54 and the boards just $22. I also make my own cases and using a company like Heatsinks USA can really help the budget.

heatsinksUSA do not help too much when you live on the other side of the planet:D i ordered 8pc 10.080"x12" profiles. (96pounds) $404. shipping $378. +25% taxes on everything.
yes. transformer+PSU and chassis is the most expensive parts.

Last edited:
That settles it ! All serious audio DIYers need to immigrate to the U.S.:D

I don't know if it would make much difference with very heavy items, but having a friend here make purchases and transfer overseas as a gift (non commercial) can eliminate some of the fees. USPS has some very good "If it fits, it ships" deals that are based on package size. That process has worked well for things I've sent as far a Romania.

Last edited:
Here in Europe, even here in England, getting things shipped from the USA can be the worst, shipping cost wise. I must admit to being jealous quite often at how easy it is for you guys in the USA to source a whole array of technical and industrial/ mechanical parts at reasonable prices. Being near Germany should help us in the UK, but it doesn't much in reality.

Here in Europe, even here in England, getting things shipped from the USA can be the worst, shipping cost wise. I must admit to being jealous quite often at how easy it is for you guys in the USA to source a whole array of technical and industrial/ mechanical parts at reasonable prices. Being near Germany should help us in the UK, but it doesn't much in reality.
Actually it is harder to get many thru-hole parts since SMD devices are taking over and most mechanical parts, like enclosures, are no longer manufactured in the USA.

Here is a sample calculation:

2 @ 10" X 1" [URL="http://www.heatsinkusa.com/10-000-wide-extruded-aluminum-heatsink/"]Heatsink Material[/URL] = $63.00

Domestic Shipping (Within Michigan) = $12.65 (I live about 60 mi from the company)

11" X 8.5" X 5.5" box - Intnl.Experss = $59.95

So it's $135.60 to get it to England. Still not cheap but gives a reference to compare. Might be close, but the fees/taxes could be eliminated.

Small parts that fit in an envelope (padded or cardboard) are averaging $4 -$5 no matter where they go.

Last edited:
heatsinkUSA ship in flatrate boxes if that makes sense.
i checked 5pc 10"x6". the sites shipping calculator(based on weight) concluded with $73.
all 5 sinks go into a flat rate medium1 Box wich cost $60.
even if heatsinkUSA had not shipped in flate rate, there would be domestic shipping ($12.65) + flate rate medium Box international ($60) and the total is again $73.
but one do eliminate some taxes.

Hi all, I have completed one Chanel of F5 and I have had it running for a couple of days without a loudspeaker connected. It set up very easily following the instructions I had been given by forum members. I gradually increased the bias with the two pots until I had 600mV across each 0.47ohm resistor and zero offset. I also checked the voltage across the pots, one was 4.2V and the other measured 4.65 V. Does this mean a problem or should I not be concerned? The bias and offset appear to be very stable varying only a few mV over many hours.
Thanks
Alan

Actually it is harder to get many thru-hole parts since SMD devices are taking over and most mechanical parts, like enclosures, are no longer manufactured in the USA.

You have PRP from Audio Connexion, those fancy naked Texas resistors, Dale as a standard from the main electronics outlets. All excellent through hole resistors we struggle to buy over here.

When building something last year, I was astounded at the range of engineering parts available from the USA - the McMaster-Carr catalogue is mind-bendingly comprehensive. Believe me, you're lucky to be in the USA if you like making stuff!

Stupid questions coming up:

I´m building the f5 now, and decided to just dont bother with the current limiting. I should just remove the parts from the schematic then? Q5, Q6 and R17-22? I´m also changing r5, r6, r7 and r8 to 220ohms for some extra gain.

I have found these answers other places, but just checking in to see if this exact combination turns my amp into an oscillating grenade. Or something like that.

Thanks!

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
You have PRP from Audio Connexion, those fancy naked Texas resistors, Dale as a standard from the main electronics outlets. All excellent through hole resistors we struggle to buy over here.

When building something last year, I was astounded at the range of engineering parts available from the USA - the McMaster-Carr catalogue is mind-bendingly comprehensive. Believe me, you're lucky to be in the USA if you like making stuff!

are you hearing difference (in F5) when using PRP or Dale , vs. "regular" 600mW metal-films ?