F5 power amplifier - Page 649 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th December 2009, 12:14 PM   #6481
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

remove input jfets and check them - with DMM resistance mode , or with classic matching procedure

while doing that - check again rail-out , to see have you some short on pcb

rust never sleeps
Old 26th December 2009, 12:36 PM   #6482
sangram is offline sangram  India
diyAudio Member

Each jfet is roughly 50 ohm drain to source - at least that's what I think I'm seeing...

Peter's boards don't take too kindly to desoldering. I had a really tough time removing some components which I needed to relocate

I was hoping someone could take some measurements with their amps, power off mode, and post what numbers they're seeing...

I see output to ground of 30 ohms (50+10 2xparallel) so this seems OK.

I can't figure out - there is no short as there is a finite resistance, which is basically 50 + 10 ohms, measured in either direction. The input jfets measure 24 ohms drain-to-source with the output JFETs mounted, and 40 ohms without. Is that normal? Seems awfully low to me...
Old 26th December 2009, 12:42 PM   #6483
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post

I see output to ground of 30 ohms (50+10 2xparallel) so this seems OK.
Mine measured across the output terminals when off is roughly 30 ohms. That's with output Fets installed of course.
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 26th December 2009, 12:56 PM   #6484
diyAudio Member

OK, I'm gonna fire her up. If I'm not back to report in the next half hour, hold memorial services on 1st January
Old 26th December 2009, 01:16 PM   #6485
diyAudio Member

OK, wow. This is one clever amp.... Biasing it is a process of discovery and amazement.

Apparently, those were normal readings :whew:
Old 26th December 2009, 03:41 PM   #6486
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangram View Post
OK, wow. This is one clever amp.... Biasing it is a process of discovery and amazement.

Apparently, those were normal readings :whew:
Cool, you didn't blow up or start a fire. (yet)
Salas Boards 2014 #2 SHIPPED |F5TC board and power supplies available PM | Hot-Rod DCB1 boards and kits available PM |Mesmerize kits available (no boards)
Old 26th December 2009, 05:41 PM   #6487
diyAudio Member

I managed to get one channel to full bias with about 2mV of offset, it drifts a bit while the amp operates, but doesn't cross 1-2mV in either direction. The pots are *very* fiddly, even with multiturn. Heatsinks about 41 degrees, MOSFETs about 50 degrees - I need to get some thermal compound on to the other side of the Mica insulator, that should help a degree or two on the MOSFET temps (room temp is ~20 degrees, ambient 12-15 degrees at night).

I'll get the second channel biased and ready tomorrow (hopefully, if it doesn't blow up in my face) and then it's listening time

My only issue is the bias drifting. I have placed the thermistors close to (but not right on top of) the output devices. I assumed a bit of distance would help, would moving them closer help with the drift? I've seen a maximum of 5mV, and I'm trying for less than 2mV if possible. It sometimes creeps up to ward 5 to 6 mV, but then automatically starts course-correcting.

the thermistors are placed almost touching the output resistors though, I thought those would also track with the output...
Old 27th December 2009, 01:30 AM   #6488
The one and only

I set the thermistors on the outputs with a drop of epoxy.

Old 27th December 2009, 02:52 AM   #6489
a.wayne is offline a.wayne  United States
Sin Bin

Hello Nelson ,

Can i double the outputs for better low imp operation ? Negatives ?

Regards,
Old 27th December 2009, 03:04 AM   #6490
Zen Mod is offline Zen Mod  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.wayne View Post
Hello Nelson ,

Can i double the outputs for better low imp operation ? Negatives ?

Regards,
oh boy .

again ?

thread have just zillion pages , and a least 100 times that Q asked .......

yes - ya can ;

negatives - certainly smaller than any other variable you'll put with other parts in amp (PSU caps, wiring, type of resistors (strictly meaning on inductive vs. noninductive) )

Hide this!Advertise here!