F5 power amplifier - Page 61 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th May 2008, 03:31 AM   #601
alexw88 is offline alexw88  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Can someone please help with my 2 questions?

1. For the thermistor, should I use PTC or NTC?

2. I plan to use the CLC type of supply filtering, is that enough? or I must use active regulation to get good THD/noise performance?

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2008, 04:34 AM   #602
diyAudio Member

Nice boards and work indeed twitch, congrats for that.
Old 5th May 2008, 09:21 AM   #603
alexw88 is offline alexw88  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by alexw88
Can someone please help with my 2 questions?

1. For the thermistor, should I use PTC or NTC?

2. I plan to use the CLC type of supply filtering, is that enough? or I must use active regulation to get good THD/noise performance?

Thanks!
I got both questions answered by reading the May issue of AudioXpress in the library! The F5 article is very well written and it is especially useful for the "caveman" like me. It has very detailed description about the circuit design and building hints.
Old 5th May 2008, 09:58 AM   #604
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jacco vermeulen
Good for you, i've also got one of those libraries at hand that have goodies on the shelf before my mailman takes his monthly break from therapy classes. (H, even after three Q of a Y monitoring THIS lot i'm still going strong with my self-controll therapy.)

But you're still welcome to read the first 10 pages of this thread with a fine-toothed comb
Old 5th May 2008, 10:04 AM   #605
diyAudio Member

twitchie

The best F5-PCB for me, till now.
Old 5th May 2008, 02:13 PM   #606
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by steenoe
Quote:

You totally missed the point, either purposedly or not. I acknowledge what you brought to these people. I even have your very amp playing for the second year! I did not critisize you specifically, I even said it was not personal. I never critisized anyone for not answering newb questions!! I did critisize the way some of the members does so, though!! I stand by that, anytime......

Okay...it's official...I'm confused.

Grey
Old 5th May 2008, 02:15 PM   #607
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by twitchie

...enough recklessness to try most anything at least once has taken me from struggling to stuff an Audiosector chipamp 5 years ago to being able to do this (I know, it's nothing compared to what most others can do, but this time, I did it starting with only the schematic):

That's the spirit!
We are DIY. We are fearless.

Grey
Old 5th May 2008, 02:17 PM   #608
Tea-Bag is offline Tea-Bag  United States
not politcally affiliated
diyAudio Member

Default Nice drawing twitchie

Quote:
My background is NOT in electronics, but I've got a problem with idle hands. That mixed with spending far too much time on the internet and enough recklessness to try most anything at least once
Mine is not either. Idle hands are a dangerous thing. Consume money and time. My method is to remember to breathe and walk away from it, when your frustrated and not sure. Wait a while, then research, then ask the right questions. It's really the journey for me, then the music. (although being a tinkerer is a problem, the system won't stay still.)

I started building tube amp stuff from kits 10 years ago. I started truly understanding circuits slowly, and still have questions.

Building a crossover schematic for me was a good place to start.
If you get this circuit working that is great. If there is a mistake, a few more holes and wires will cure it

Again many namaste's to NP. Reading some of his advice is far better than just following instructions on a kit. His writings allow you to actually know what's happening, and he speaks in common sense terms. Is helpful, and beg to say available. Some of with father issues. truly appreciate that. And I find that almost all of you are helpful. I am always learning.
Old 5th May 2008, 02:38 PM   #609
diyAudio Member

Twitchie -- you might want to move the IRFP240 and TH2, reversing their positions -- this will allow you a shorter path to the gate of the IRFP240 -- if the gate-stopper resistor value is "high" (10x the value specified) then it would be problematic. Sometimes I just solder the gate-stopper resistor directly to the gate pin.
Old 5th May 2008, 03:00 PM   #610
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to vdi_nenna
Just an observation...

The board doesn't have mounting holes yet.

I feel that if you were to mounting the FETs to the heatsink without fixing the board to the heatsink, you might leave yourself open to a vibrating PCB. I only say this because there are no mounting holes at all. Please ignore this if you are drilling them later.

BTW- Nice board!

V~

Hide this!Advertise here!