F5 power amplifier

Yes it would. Tie two batteries in series and point of connection is your new ground, like this:

Hi Juma,
I was seriously considering doing this, but the following post made me think twice.

You could do that,BUT,you will have to consider the 'ground' points for the rest of the system.
Often RE battery banks are grounded at the negative end (0V),if you tap the center of the bank and use that as the amp ground,then the 'ground' of the amp will be floating at 1/2 of the battery bank voltage. If you were to connect the amp,to say,a preamp that's grounded at 0V,you're gonna have 1/2 of the battery bank voltage flowing through your interconnects! And we all know BIG batteries can supply BIG currents. :hot:

Just be sure to consider all of the current paths,before you start connecting things together. ;)

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
maybe worth to note that original 8watt Monster uses both "ordinary" power supply and batteries
I suppose that batteries alone would be drained very quick

another problem with big starter batteries is that they will be hurt and age faster if loaded when not fully charged
thats why the are called starter battery

one option could the kind of battery used in small battery driven trucks
totally different beast

btw, I have seen a simple and cheap switchmode supply with built in battery charger
intended fore PC with security backup supply

you must know what are you doing ......

Which, of course, I don't. My kung-fu is not very strong. No disrespect meant to audio black belt Juma.

maybe worth to note that original 8watt Monster uses both "ordinary" power supply and batteries

This is what I'd ultimately like to do. Run the amp on the mains to warm up, then on marine deep-cycle batteries for serious listening.

Joined 2003
Paid Member
After a slew of questions on the Peter Daniels GB F-5 thread, several here and a few I just randomly asked on the Pass forums, I finally got the amp biased properly with little or no offsett.

Hooked up the B-1 and speakers, re-powered up, let warm until stable, and music indeed came out! Only a couple hours, more and Pics tonight.:)

Russellc

Joined 2003
Paid Member
One of the best I've heard period. Cant believe it came from my solder gun!:D
Face plate isnt attached yet and the power cords are temporarily installed. Note that the grounds arent yet attached, and while not safe to leave, I must say this amp is quiet. In the left speaker with your ear right up against a JBL 2235H, a very slight hum is just perceptible. I am over stating to speak of this as a "hum"......you couldnt hear it at all in anything but a dead quiet room, and only with your ear right up next to the driver.

Attachments

• IMG_2835.jpg
    IMG_2835.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 620
  • IMG_2831.jpg
    IMG_2831.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 607
  • IMG_2827.jpg
    IMG_2827.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 605
Joined 2003
Paid Member
Good job.I have an F5 but does not have such a beautiful case.I will build one

It wasnt difficult. Member Westend cut the panels and the angle aluminum to length. He used a regular table saw with a special blade and cut it perfectly just like it was wood. The Sinks (M&M Metals) are drilled and tapped to allow the angle pieces to be attached, which in turn are bolted to the panels with just through holes.

All the panels were mailed to me flat pack style, and without the faceplate, would not weigh much. Panels are 1/8 inch 6061 ( If I remember correctly) aluminum. The tapping and drilling of the heat sink worried me, but was actually one of the simplest things about the build. I just had never done that before.

You could contact Westend, shipping would not be that expensive, and the aluminum is cheap too. I bolted it together with 10-32 screws, diodes and mosfets with 4-40. All you need is the panels, a measure, about 5 drill bits and 2 taps, 10-32 and 4-40. Perhaps you are able to saw metal, I guess I could too if I had a table saw and proper blade.

Russellc

Post pics when finished