F5 power amplifier - Page 369 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th April 2009, 12:49 PM   #3681
diyAudio Member

so In order to prevent hum from ground loops
how you will suggest to connect that pcb to PSU and Input rca /output binding post
Old 28th April 2009, 10:24 PM   #3682
diyAudio Member

One wire from PCB to star ground
One wire from black binding post to star ground
Use shielded wire from RCA to PCB (shielding goes to PCB too)
RCA must be insulated from chassis.
That's it.
Old 29th April 2009, 12:43 PM   #3683
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I am contemplating to build an Xed version of th F5 . Post#3644
I had a quick reading again of the whole thread.
It seems to me that an X version is not possible because this topology needs differential inputs. Am i right?
Old 29th April 2009, 01:53 PM   #3684
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bobodioulasso
One wire from PCB to star ground
One wire from black binding post to star ground
Use shielded wire from RCA to PCB (shielding goes to PCB too)
RCA must be insulated from chassis.
That's it.

thx
Old 29th April 2009, 03:23 PM   #3685
stein2 is offline stein2  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samoloko
stein2 can you post a closer picture of your PSU - I would like to know how are you did gnd wiring
with so much capacitance how you are starting up - with soft start or cl-60 what value fuse you use

Sorry for the delay in response, I was away for almost a week on a business trip.
Now I'm back, and a question for you, do you mean my first attempt with wired connections or the new project with the PSU made on PCBs?

As for starting, there's a thermistor from a PC PSU, 10 Ohms NTC in series with the 230V/50Hz primer and a 0.1uF/250V capacitor taken from the contacts of the IEC connector from the same PC PSU connected in parallel with the primer of a 400VA transformer...

If you need a picture showing the PCB, I'll make a few, and if the older wired solution is what you want to see, I'll look for an image showing the details. In both cases there's no issue with hum, ground loop or any audible noise...
Old 29th April 2009, 04:46 PM   #3686
diyAudio Member

Bit too late to edit previous post. Here's an image how I did it without a printed board.
To the "0V" point goes the center tap from the transformer if one rectifier bridge is to be used, and I grounded the heatsinks because the "box" was made of MDF, not metal. In case that the housing is of metal, do not ground the heatsinks with anything, unless they are electrically insulated from the metal of the housing which will be grounded anyway.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg groundingf5.jpg (85.6 KB, 1748 views)
Old 30th April 2009, 02:00 PM   #3687
diyAudio Member

thx for response stein2

If It Is not a problem for you you can post a shot from your new F5
Old 30th April 2009, 02:48 PM   #3688
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samoloko
thx for response stein2

If It Is not a problem for you you can post a shot from your new F5

Bottom...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f5psu_bottom.jpg (70.0 KB, 1600 views)
Old 30th April 2009, 02:51 PM   #3689
diyAudio Member

...top...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f5psu_top.jpg (72.7 KB, 1636 views)
Old 3rd May 2009, 01:13 AM   #3690
diyAudio Member

heh I had a bit of bad luck in helping a friend bring up a F5. He wasn't sure about the FQA devices and where they went, and said he used the locations on Jack's website. I figured that was right, so I decided to double-check the AudioExpress article and happened to read the paragraph in the "Parts Selection" that said Q3 is N-channel and Q4 was P-channel... so, it jived with Jacks website, so I figured... it must be right.... WRONG

Anyways, I first tried a 2.5A slo blo and then tried a 3.0A slo blo .. anyways, just blew the fuse both times. So, given what I did, are there any parts I should check? Voltage on the PSU rose like 5-6V then the fuse blew... I figured I could check the parts, but figured I'd be lazy and ask around

Hide this!Advertise here!