F5 power amplifier

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Do you have an input cap on the F5?

If you don't, you need those caps. There is some DC on the output of the 1212m because the CS4398 has 2.5VDC by default on both the + and - output pin. The caps are required if you run unbalanced without an input cap on the amplifier.

Of course, those who run in balanced mode need not worry as the offset cancels out when connected to a balanced input.

When you adjusted the offset, did you short the input or adjust it with the soundcard connected?

Do you have an input cap on the F5?

If you don't, you need those caps. There is some DC on the output of the 1212m because the CS4398 has 2.5VDC by default on both the + and - output pin. The caps are required if you run unbalanced without an input cap on the amplifier.

Of course, those who run in balanced mode need not worry as the offset cancels out when connected to a balanced input.

When you adjusted the offset, did you short the input or adjust it with the soundcard connected?

hi.I measured both outputs and see -1.2mv on the left and -4.1mv on the right.I think living with this offset is better than using coupling caps.I think it does not hurt

TO-220 Fairchild Variants

Well, I said they will work -- they will, kind of...as pointed out the case to ambient thermal impedance is higher than the TO-247's -- I was able to get them cooking but somehow the N-Channel device was a just a wee bit loose and went to semiconductor heaven...i think they probably have to be mounted with just the correct amount of torque. I haven't had a problem with either Fairchilds or IRF-Vishays in TO-247.

I joined to group buy for B1.but F5 needs gain.So i do not know what to do. Maybe get 4xgain with Opa627 and after that connect B1 and after that F5

YUK!

Just run it passively, i bet you will be very impressed on how clean the sound is. Simple pot, like Nelson says, SIMPLE always wins :)

Sounds like you haven't read the whole story... the problem is that the sound-card has been "upgraded" by removing components so that it now plays low output and distorted. :D

Sorry :)

Well adding a Buffer or any pre-amp isn't going to fix this, just amplify the distorted stuff.

Buy new sound card or put back to original.

Sounds like you haven't read the whole story... the problem is that the sound-card has been "upgraded" by removing components so that it now plays low output and distorted. :D

hehe.No it plays louder and clearer.I see what the problem is.Because of bridging capacitors and listening at the top of highest volume for 2-3 hours makes soundcard to reach the SOA i think.And it becomes distorted.But it is fixed when i restart computer.If it is broken it can not play crystal clear again.yes it plays much better than before.
And I saw why it plays low output.I connected cold side of right channel.It was broken in the past.before tweaking.But hot side plays louder and clearer now and i am listening to it.It is ok now.There is no problem. I am happy with my card now :cloud9: :D