F5 power amplifier - Page 281 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2009, 06:43 PM   #2801
labjr is offline labjr  United States
diyAudio Member

Peter, that is cool. Now I'm wishing a bought one more transformer for my project.
Old 10th February 2009, 06:50 PM   #2802
rhysh is offline rhysh  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to rhysh
Very intresting design there peter!
Old 10th February 2009, 06:51 PM   #2803
diyAudio Member

Are those spacers betweeen the transistors and the heatsinks?
Old 10th February 2009, 06:58 PM   #2804
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Those are beryllium oxide pads which are discontinued now. Mouser carries aluminum oxide pads which are similar.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th February 2009, 07:22 PM   #2805
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Daniel
Those are beryllium oxide pads which are discontinued now. Mouser carries aluminum oxide pads which are similar.
Do you use thermal grease with them ?
Old 10th February 2009, 07:48 PM   #2806
diyAudio Member

Yes, I do.
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 10th February 2009, 09:43 PM   #2807
amp_guy is offline amp_guy  United States
diyAudio Member

Very nice work Peter (as usual).
How do you like it compared to...........
Old 11th February 2009, 03:15 AM   #2808
diyAudio Member

Default F5 Heat Sink Dissipation

Ichiban - I'm dying to find out if the house burned down yet, because I'm planning on attempting the same crazy $#@* with a D-988 amp case, (see photo). The Conrad MF35-151.5 has a thermal capacity of ~ .2 degrees C / W. Using my expert photometric capabilities and scaling by fin area, the D-988 amp has about the same fin area and thermal capacity per side - so I should get the same results. According to Pass, at idle, each FET will need to dissipate ~30 watts, so your heat sink should be about 25 degrees C above ambient.

Three questions - 1) where did the temperature settle out at the FET's after a couple hours, 2) did the bias stabilize and at what current, and 3) how far apart, laterally, were your FET's, (I can't tell where the heck they are in the pictures). Also, do you think mounting them towards the bottom of the heat sink would have helped ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg d998.jpg (13.8 KB, 2577 views)
Old 11th February 2009, 03:57 AM   #2809
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Peter,

MP930 for the feedback Rs, and Riken for JFET drain ?

Patrick
Old 11th February 2009, 04:39 AM   #2810
diyAudio Member

I intended to use MP930 in passive filtering between caps and I though I had 0.15Rs. When I started setting bias I couldn't understand why it only went up to 1.2A and when I decided to measure power output it appeared that the amp was giving me 4W only. Then I checked the rails and they were around 5V, so I figured out the power resistors were in fact 15R not 0.15R

In feedback I have 2 x 150R Caddock MK132 per side. I use Rikens for JFET drain and in parallel with trimpot (2k7). I used those because I already had them and didn't see a reason why not give 'em a try.

Hide this!Advertise here!