F5 power amplifier

For those that might be interested.
Regarding the 10 ohm resistors that sit between the input jfets.

I have observed that if the the source resistor of 2sk170 is slightly higher than the drain resistor of 2sj74 (eg 10.2ohms and 9.8ohms respectively) then the 2nd harmonic content increases.
If the source resistor of 2sk170 is slightly lower than the drain resistor of 2sj74 then the 3rd harnonic content increases (eg 9.8ohms and 10.2ohms respectively).

If people are interested I can post some images.

thanh1973 said:
For those that might be interested.
Regarding the 10 ohm resistors that sit between the input jfets.

I have observed that if the the source resistor of 2sk170 is slightly higher than the drain resistor of 2sj74 (eg 10.2ohms and 9.8ohms respectively) then the 2nd harmonic content increases.
If the source resistor of 2sk170 is slightly lower than the drain resistor of 2sj74 then the 3rd harnonic content increases (eg 9.8ohms and 10.2ohms respectively).

If people are interested I can post some images.

Try, as well, experimenting with the 0.47 ohm resistors -- NP said that he had been able to manipulate the THD% with slight variation of the values.

High Bias Current (4A) Version

Here is my high bias current version (4 Amps) of the F5 using 3 output pairs.
It is also the first time I have done a point to point circuit using perf board (I hope all goes well).
I still need to solder the output mosfets.
Well I hope this encourages others to try out this amp.
I should have this up and running by the end of the week.

Attachments

• F5 001.jpg
    F5 001.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 1,135
Damping factor is inversely proportional to output impedance.
Since their is no resistor at the output which would dominate the output impedance.
Then in theory damping factor should increase (ie output impedance reduce) proportionaly by parralleling output transistors (for this design), Eg if damping factor is 80 for 1 pair then damping factor should be 240 with three pairs.
Well that is how I see it.
Damping factor is usually quoted for an 8 Ohm load therefore DF=8/output impedance.
So for a damping factor of 80 the output impedance equals 0.1Ohms.
If you want to calculate the output impedance (not knowing what the damping factor is) then it is not that straight foward. Negative feedback comes into it.
I use LTspice to determine such things.

Thanh1973, I am a noobie and i have not yet learn to model on LTspice. Are you going to model the output impedance for your parallel output tranny F5? If so and it is not to much trouble, would you mind also working it out for 2 parallel output trannies.

I am asking because I am currently building an amp with 2 output pairs and 28v rails for 4 ohm speakers.

Thanks,
Nick

Here is my high bias current version (4 Amps) of the F5 using 3 output pairs.
It is also the first time I have done a point to point circuit using perf board (I hope all goes well).
I still need to solder the output mosfets.
Well I hope this encourages others to try out this amp.
I should have this up and running by the end of the week.

So what are you using to heatsink this monster?!
Uriah

I have built a prototype test set up for the purposes of testing amplifiers. It consists of a flat piece of aluminium which is bent in the shape of a U. On one side is mounted one F5 channel and on the other side I have mounted a Swiftech CPU heatsink and fan (run off a 9V battery). I have a attached a thermocouple to the aluminium right next to one of the devices that will monitor temperature while testing. I also have another thermocouple that I can use to measure temperature difference between each device.
I hope to fire it up for the first time today. I am not sure I will get to 4 Amps using this test setup, but we will see. If all goes well I will repeat some of the test Nelson has done just to see how it performs.
I will also take some pictures.