F5 power amplifier

Aikido +2

Aikiko +2 John Broskie's circuit is a perfect match for an F5 power amp from both a "temperment" and gain standpoint. (BTW, the gain can be tailored from unity to 50 via selection of the input and cathode-follower tubes.) Check out John Broskie's new "All-In-One" board with integrated B+ and heater regulated power supplies which he recently began shipping.

Parallel layout

Hello, I made some adjustments based on earlier comments to my layout for a F5 with parallel output mosfets. Can anyone take another look through for potential issues?

Also 2 questions,
1. Is it better to route the signal traces around the perimeter of the board v. crossing under the power and output trace?
2. Will the thermal compensation circuit still work with parallel devices, and if yes do I need a thermistor at each mosfet or just one per p/n channel?

Thanks everyone for entertaining a noobies questions and of course NP for everything you share.

Attachments

• f5_ll_v3_1.jpg
    f5_ll_v3_1.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 1,082
Re: Parallel layout

npapp said:
Hello, I made some adjustments based on earlier comments to my layout for a F5 with parallel output mosfets. Can anyone take another look through for potential issues?

Also 2 questions,
1. Is it better to route the signal traces around the perimeter of the board v. crossing under the power and output trace?
2. Will the thermal compensation circuit still work with parallel devices, and if yes do I need a thermistor at each mosfet or just one per p/n channel?

Thanks everyone for entertaining a noobies questions and of course NP for everything you share.

I usually put all my power and output tracks at one end of the PCB away from small signal tracks.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Parallel layout

npapp said:

2. Will the thermal compensation circuit still work with parallel devices, and if yes do I need a thermistor at each mosfet?

The Oracle sees all, tells all.

1 It doesn't matter as much as you think it does.

2 Yes, and No.

:cool:

Power Supply

Dear Oracle,
Does really no one like to explain how those thermistors should be calculated?
Post #4604
I'm confused, because you used two of them in your circuit from Power Supply First Watt F3 :
www.firstwatt.com/downloads/F3-service-manual-sm.pdf
Thanks for sharing.

I'm pretty sure you are not interested in this, but i miss something:
My Edit Button. Can i get some?

That would be enchanting.

Regards Sisyphism

Parts selection - F5 Monos

Hi all,

i gathered 90% of the parts for my F5 Monos only some of the Panasonic 3w resistors and the thermistors are missing but before i order the missing stuff from digikey i have some questions left, maybe you can help me out.

1. What digikey part number to choose for the 4.7k thermistors? They have like a gazillion different types avaible and i am getting confused here.

2. The power supply: I want to go full mono with one 330VA transformer per channel and C-R-C-R-C, but i still have problems choosing the right values for R, C will be 22.000uF 50V Nichicons.

So, in the original stereo f5 we have C-R-C, 30.000uF - 0.1175R - 30.000uF
Thats for stereo, my amps are mono so there will be only have the current flowing, so I can double the resistance to 0.22R and will still have the same voltage drop, since i want to go C-R-C-R-C i need to split up the resistance equal and end up with 22.000uF - 0.11R (2x0.22R 3W) - 22.000uF -(2x0.22R 3W) - 22.000uF per rail. Should give the same Voltage drop as the original supply and since 12W rating for the resistors is ok for a stereo amp i guess i should be on the safe side using 6W for my monos, , or did i oversee something fundamental?

Thanks for your help