F5 power amplifier

Joined 2005
Paid Member
bobodioulasso said:
If you put 2 seconds dc at input, you find 2 seconds amplified dc at the output. Where is the problem? May be i was not so clear.
I was saying i did not test dc applied for a long time, that's all.
I have no problem with this amp, just making tests to try to better understand how works this PSU. As you were asking me questions...

permaneder said:
Dan,

If you inject DC voltage into the input of an F5, you'll always find amplified DC (+ 15dB approx.) at the output, of course. Your amp doesn't care whether the signal is AC or DC.
gm

Sorry Guys my mistake... i thought you meant there was dc on the output with no signal. my excuse is too much work not enough coffee :)

-Dan

tinitus said:
From what I understand with such rather small classA...

What seems to me:

Parallel operation doubles the output current available into the load.

Into 8 ohms, each amp is able to deliver 2.5Amp (classA 1.25A bias)

Total 5A class A into 8ohms .

5Ax5Ax8ohms=200w max=100w rms.

Bridging operation is another story which doubles the output voltage available into the load.

Correct me, please, if i am wrong.

bobodioulasso said:

What seems to me:

Parallel operation doubles the output current available into the load.

Into 8 ohms, each amp is able to deliver 2.5Amp (classA 1.25A bias)

Total 5A class A into 8ohms .

5Ax5Ax8ohms=200w max=100w rms.

Bridging operation is another story which doubles the output voltage available into the load.

Correct me, please, if i am wrong.
HI
Your calculation are OK except you need at least +-44V rails to get 100Wrms at 8 ohms, i.e. Vpeak~44-4 =40 , Prms=40x40/8 = 200/2=100Wrms. If you have 24V rails i.e. 20 peak due to losses you will still get 25rms at 8 ohm, but for 4 ohm you will have not 12wrms class A (50WRMS CLASS B) as before , but 50 Wrms. Prms 20X20/4=100/2=50Wrms and all these to FULL class A

kzeprf22 said:

HI
Your calculation are OK except you need at least ...

You are right, thanks.

My calculation was only stating the class A limit, not the real available power limit imposed by supply rails voltage.

So, as you said, the interest of parallel operation is to allow 50W class A into a 4 ohms load. And also more available class A power into complex/reactive loads .

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Would this supply work for balanced amp

Cant figure out what happens to grounds

Attachments

• f5 balanced.jpg
    f5 balanced.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,017
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Ok, thanks

Each board their own respective supply
Ofcourse, I remember it now, true balanced it is:)

ehhh, maybe its really best when both boards share the same supply, or at least same trafo, and have no issues with any small differences, knowing that balanced could be critical to tolerances :clown:

And the possibility to turn it into a normal stereo could be a nice option too
This could make me rethink my usual favour of building monos :rolleyes: have to think about it

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Another stupid question :clown:

Problems with low impedance is usually in the bass region

Will it be audible if amp leaves classA at low frequencies

If amp leaves classA at say 50-100hz, will it also leave classA at higher frequencies as well, even if it delivers power well within the classA operation at say 1000hz :rolleyes:

tinitus said:
Another stupid question :clown:

Will it be audible if amp leaves classA at low frequencies

If amp leaves classA at say 50-100hz, will it also leave classA at higher frequencies as well, even if it delivers power well within the classA operation at say 1000hz :rolleyes:

Not sure of both on those questions. I would think if there is only bass then it wouldn''t be audible. However, if you've seen a complex wave on a scope and there is high frequency mixed with the bass then it would seem like the whole output stage would leave class A. Maybe this is where intermodulation distortion becomes a problem.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
tinitus said:

Simplicity is not that simple . . . ?
Or trying to make simple things be complicated . . . ?

A music signal wave is mixture of many different frequencies . . .
If any point of the envelop curve (formed by peak points) of the music signal is cutting and leaving Class A bias, the music signal is leaving the Class A bias. Remember that the music signal wave is mixture of many different frequencies . . . I believe you know all already, don't you . . .

:)