Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th April 2008, 03:15 AM   #201
diyAudio Member

Default F5 for a first DIY project?

Hi everyone,

I'm very curious about the F5 but have never built an amp before. How suitable would this amp be for a first project? I've seen a few people mention the possibility of a PCB on this thread, but it's not clear whether there will be one made available. PCB coming?

It's also unclear to me what the approximate cost of parts for this build would be. Any rough estimates?

Thanks for the help. Looks like a great amp. Look forward to diving into DIY.

-Roscoe
Old 20th April 2008, 03:40 AM   #202
diyAudio Member

Default Re: F5 for a first DIY project?

Quote:
Originally posted by roscoeiii
Hi everyone,

I'm very curious about the F5 but have never built an amp before. How suitable would this amp be for a first project? I've seen a few people mention the possibility of a PCB on this thread, but it's not clear whether there will be one made available. PCB coming?

It's also unclear to me what the approximate cost of parts for this build would be. Any rough estimates?

Thanks for the help. Looks like a great amp. Look forward to diving into DIY.

-Roscoe
To be honest, you might consider cutting your 'first amp' teeth with a gainclone first, to learn basics on building power supplies, chassis and basic soldering (assuming you're also an electronics newb).

Cost for the 'guts' is nothing typically (probably about $30 as a rough estimate). It's the power supply and the heatsinks that will set you back.

And of course, here's the requisite Mastercard quote:

The sense of satisfaction from listening to your first DIY Pass Amp: Priceless

Old 20th April 2008, 10:04 AM   #203
diyAudio Member

Thanks,
I suppose I'll have to try it...

And then, the F6 goes with current mirrors as the ugs, doesn't it?

Rüdiger
Old 20th April 2008, 04:13 PM   #204
The one and only

Quote:
Originally posted by KSTR
It's, by design, not the king of damping factors. With a speaker very sensitive to that and with very irregular and lowish impedance (IOW: older Kappa or so) it might be suboptimal.
Of the Zen and FW series, it would be the best, since it has a DF
of 80 and will drive 2 ohms without burping.

I don't believe, however that I would point it at a speaker with both
a low impedance and a low sensitivity.

Reactance is not an issue. The performance is slightly more robust into
a fully reactive load vs a resistive load of the same impedance.
Old 20th April 2008, 05:06 PM   #205
diyAudio Member

The more this goes on, the more interested I become, however the wait to read the details is frustrating. Jaycar have no issues of the relevant AX that I could find, and I got that typical "I dunno" response when asked for an ETA.

The common supplies for the different FW designs is intriguing: I have a 5 way project under development and the 3 channels from 200Hz up give a lot of opportunity to mix and match different models with less expense.

I've been wondering about the F1 with compression drivers, and an F4/F5 for the mids.
Old 20th April 2008, 05:23 PM   #206
diyAudio Member

I've been dying to read the article, but my local news stand still has the April issue out... Soon, I tell myself

checking it daily
7/10
Old 20th April 2008, 05:35 PM   #207
diyAudio Member

HI

I' m newb on Mr.Pass amp....this one is current or voltage type ?

If I have read well F3 are upgrade Zv9 and F3 with mod are a superior F2 ?
I ask becouse a need a amp for FR and F2 are the cadidate but If I can jump on a groupbuy....

Thanks
Old 20th April 2008, 05:56 PM   #208
KSTR is offline KSTR  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nelson Pass
Of the Zen and FW series, it would be the best, since it has a DF
of 80
If the DF is referred to 8Ohms, then my sims -- @1.4A bias, 560R I-V resistors, K170&J74 FETs -- have been pretty close, using IRFP244 and FQA9P25 models, though a bit on the defensive side (DF ~ 60@8R). Thanks for that breadcrumb.

- Klaus
Old 20th April 2008, 07:45 PM   #209
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seventenths
I've been dying to read the article, but my local news stand still has the April issue out... Soon, I tell myself

checking it daily
7/10

Why not subscibe.??Much cheaper and gives the mail box some meaning besides bills!!!
Old 20th April 2008, 08:04 PM   #210
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sandstorm33

Why not subscibe.??Much cheaper and gives the mail box some meaning besides bills!!!
I will indeed. I was sucked into this mess just about a year ago with a simple altoid tin headphone amp... HaHa, if I'd have only known then what it would lead to, I would have subscribed earlier

instant gratification? what?,
7/10

Hide this!Advertise here!