F5 power amplifier

Antek has great prices, great shipping prices and I have not had problems with the transformer's quality. I have not tried Plitron. It seemed to me they dont like one offs and I dont see where to buy from anyone but them directly. Bit anti DIY, but I could be wrong.
You can buy all the parts from Mouser or Digikey but you may want to go the Digikey route as they carry the Dale resistors you will find recommended by Nelson in the F5 manual. They also carry all the caps.
Tech-DIY is great to deal with. I dont know if their kit for F5 parts is cheaper than buying it yourself or not, but if you support them you support those who support you :) and the frustratin that a DIYer goes through picking that perfect part is gone when you buy from them. Time to is saved. Trust me Jackinnj will help you probably several times in your DIY adventure. (he is the Tech-DIY guy)
Digikey is a good place to buy caps for the power supply and the 3W resistors you will need as well as the TVS. Michael Percy Audio has a great deal on Nichicon KG power supply caps that would work perfect for this amp, but the Panasonic THSA or was it TSHA caps are fantastic and available from Digikey.
Uriah

Nelson Pass said:

Alternatively, you can increase the value of the Source resistors to 1 ohms, and increase the value of the feedback resistors from 2 X 100 ohms and 10 ohms to 1 X 100 ohms and 22 ohms.

The lower amount of feedback will warm the sound up, and you can keep
increasing proportional values in the feedback loop if you wish.

:cool:

Nelson,

What voltage drop over the source resistors should I be shooting for in that case? Would that be 1.3 V?

Thanks,
Bert

I can't resist sharing this picture of this little transformer from the Glodok electronic parts market in central Jakarta. I needed a small transformer to construct the power supply for the fans to slightly cool down my F5. Here's what I found.

I googled the so-called company and 'transformer' and nothing came up. Hmmm... ????

Attachments

• pass transformer.jpg
    pass transformer.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,267
Just received Peter board and assembling the components for F5.

Transformer

I have 2 choices. 1 is the 250VA toroid from Multicomp and another is a EI 400VA made locally. The toroid is 35% more expensive than the custom made EI. Both have dual secondary 18V. Question is with so many good review about Toroid, should I just forget about EI even it has larger capacitor.

If toroid is chosen, would it help to increase the capacitor pool higher say 160,000uF to make up for the lower requirement of 330VA rating.

Capacitors
I come across the following specs :-

Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor - Nippon Chemicon
Voltage Rating:25VDC
Capacitor Dielectric Material:Aluminum Electrolytic
ESR:0.013ohm

Can I just use 35V dc rating for pre filter while the 25V dc rating for the after filter.

Formerly "jh6you". R.I.P.
Joined 2006
ccschua said:

Transformer

... 250VA toroid ...
... EI 400VA ...

Capacitors

Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor - Nippon Chemicon
Voltage Rating:25VDC

I would use EI 400VA even if its load regulation (LR) might be slightly greater than toroid's--e.g. the rail voltages about +/-21V (?) due to the load effect. I feel a bit more relaxed sound from EI. And, I always like to use it made for 50Hz AC main (even in 60Hz contries).

If you use EI, 25VDC-rating caps are quite okay because of the greater LR . . .

:)

Dxvideo said:
I am not sure that the following question is already answered or not.. But;

Do TH1 and TH2 thermistors (in the Figure 6 of "Nelson Pass F5 Article") are NTC or PTC type?

And do you know an instant PCB design (or for sell) for F5?

Thanks in advance..

1. NTC
2. Contact Peter Daniel over @ audiosector.com, Peter sells top notch quality F5 PCBs.

Floyd42Flake said:

Merhaba,
the PCBs from Cviller are excellent too. Very good quality, prompt delivery (from Denmark). He also sells boards for the PSU and rectifier bridges.

Oh... What a compliment! Thank you Floyd...
I've missed your posting and already pruchased from Peter yesterday....
By the way, I have a last (I hope) question about the F5;
Do R1 and R2 are 3W rated like the R5-R8 ones or 1/4w is enough.. There is no power data on them so I supposed just 1/4W will be enough! However, if we use 3+3=6W resistors on feedback line then these must be also 6W or so.. Am I right?

Acceptable voltage rails for the F5

I have a question regarding acceptable voltage rails for the F5....

My AC line voltage is quite high, it usually fluctuates between 129 and 133 Vac. In this case what would be more recommendable between these two choices of transformer, a 115/18VA or a 115/15VA rated? (going for an Antek trafo)

Or is there any problem if my resultant voltage rails get around +/-30V with the 18VA trafo? (using power supply caps rated for 35Vdc), or below +/-23V using the 15VA one?

Thanks