F5 power amplifier - Page 190 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Pass Labs

Pass Labs This forum is dedicated to Pass Labs discussion.

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th October 2008, 02:29 PM   #1891
diyAudio Member

I think you're prices are pretty good actually, particularly the matched sets and the convenience.

Good thing I got those TNC and Slit Foil caps from DNM Audio (excellent caps) a few weeks ago!

Pity there wasn't a magic (and cheap!) source of 220uF/50v BG-NX caps and 10kuF/63v Sikorels!!
Old 8th October 2008, 02:44 PM   #1892
diyAudio Member

Default balanced version

Sorry 'garborbela' (?), forgot to add this...

There is balanced design started by Tino on post 130 (p6) and further taken up by EUVL on #1186 (p48).
TimS (NZ) also did a design on #135 and continued... (he also did a rather good one for headphones)

Hope this will get you started in the right direction.
Old 8th October 2008, 07:43 PM   #1893
high5 is offline high5  Austria
diyAudio Member

Hello,

Thanks everyone for your answers! I will try to take a look for some other solutions. At the moment I am using this product:
http://www.falco-systems.com/High_vo...r_WMA-300.html
However, it is only up to +- 150V.
Anyway, thanks to all.
Cheers
Old 9th October 2008, 02:01 AM   #1894
diyAudio Member

Default Better to wait

Hello
I think for me it will be the best if I wait until Mr N Pass will sare with us the F6 which after some information will be the Balanced verision .
Thanks one more time .
Greetings
Old 9th October 2008, 02:43 AM   #1895
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Better to wait

Quote:
Originally posted by gaborbela
Hello
I think for me it will be the best if I wait until Mr N Pass will sare with us the F6 which after some information will be the Balanced verision .
Thanks one more time .
Greetings

If it comes out as anticipated, you had better have LU1014 power jfets on hand or start sourcing some now. The F6 is supposed to be higher power version of F3 I believe.
Old 9th October 2008, 08:05 AM   #1896
h_a is offline h_a  Europe
diyAudio Member

Quote:
doa jfet follower with laterals
The original DAO uses the fets only for the cascodes, so I'm sorry but laterals are of really little benefit in that circuit.

But - of course - feel free to try

Have fun, Hannes
Old 9th October 2008, 08:15 AM   #1897
EUVL is offline EUVL  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Using 2SK1058 in the DAP follower

Do bear in mind that the LU1014 is being used in "triode" mode, and thus the characteristics of the cascode device plays a more important role than a "penthode" device like normal MOSFETs. I would encourage you to try this, but be prepared to vary the cascode gate voltage AND the source resistor value. In any case, always try to measure Id vs Vgs of the LU1014 directly until you get a linear operating regime. I would guess that you would need to reduce the value of both to get optimal results, due to the lower transconductance (or higher effective resistance) of the 2SK1058.

Or if you have reliable Spice models for both, that would make the initial optimisation a bit easier.

Patrick

PS I propose that we should shift any further discussion to the follower thread.

Some other Source Follower COnfigurations
Old 9th October 2008, 01:43 PM   #1898
diyAudio Member

Thanks Hannes, Patrick, for the information.

This little bunch of "critters" has an amazing performance - fascinating - must catch up on the linked thread of the "doa follower + " thread.

Back to the F5.
Old 18th October 2008, 04:49 AM   #1899
diyAudio Member

what's the minimum rail voltage for F5 to operate?
Papa recommend 23V to 25V, but can it operate around at +/- 20V or so?
Old 18th October 2008, 05:39 AM   #1900
defect9 is offline defect9  Ireland
diyAudio Member

it could operate lower, i believe, but remember that the sound changes slightly depending on voltage. the amp with the power supply outlined in the user manual/schema says to use a transformer with dual 18v secondaries, if i recall, which gets you something like 24v rails (is that right? its been a while for me)

-J

Hide this!Advertise here!